The last few Pens I've made!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wrjones224

wrjones224

My last few pens I made. Bethlehem Olivewood, Stabilized buckeye burl, and then Two Brazilian tulipwood pens. On my Bethlehem olivewood pen, I just used mylands high friction polish. I have a lot of customers who love the smooth "natural" feel to the wood. What are the downsides to doing this method versus the CA finish? Thoughts on this allotment of pen?

Attachments

• IMG_9197.JPG
    IMG_9197.JPG
    440.2 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_9198.JPG
    IMG_9198.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_9237.JPG
    IMG_9237.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 195

magpens

Very nice pens !!!

You will never go wrong with those choices of wood for barrels. . The Brazilian tulipwood might not go with every possible pen hardware plating.
But the Olivewood and Buckeye Burl will go with everything.

I cannot comment authoritatively on your choice of finish. . I do like what you have done.
Olivewood is, in every way, such a beautiful wood to work with that any finish will be super. . I personally use CA but sometimes that may be too glossy.
Sometimes glossy is what you want, but sometimes a matte finish is more suitable for a variety of possible reasons, none of which is absolute.

Again, .... VERY WELL DONE !!

Last edited:

TDahl

Very nice pens. I have been using friction polish more lately and like the way it gives off a nice shine while maintaining the characteristics of the wood grain. Nicely done.

Sly Dog

My two "go-to" finishes are GluBoost and Mylands friction polish. I'm allergic to CA so I have to be careful and limit my exposure to GluBoost but I find it is a superior gloss finish and more durable than Mylands. Still, I use Mylands most of the time and can get a near gloss finish that, as you note, looks and feels very natural. I generally follow the process here: https://www.woodnwhimsies.com/media/Instructions/MylandsInstu.pdf.

Beautiful pens you made there! I've never turned tulipwood. Love olive wood and buckeye burl.

Top Bottom