The Lace Agate Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mach4

Mach4

I've been looking forward to producing this pen for quite some time. I wanted to ensure that I had my workflow down so as to have a reasonable chance of success with more expensive and exotic materials.

This pen was constructed of Lace Agate procured at a recent local gem and mineral show. This particular specimen is extremely similar to Crazy Lace Agate and may in fact have been mis-identified by the vendor. It was a very difficult specimen that produced three blanks of which two blew up in drilling.

The specimen produced three matching free-form cabochon pendants in addition to the pen.

4E55D6C3-BEBB-4B6E-BA9E-A333DC8C2CAF.jpeg

One interesting aspect of this pen is the bit of druzy shown in the following image. There was no indication that this existed before rough shaping. Druzy is crystal that form in voids in a rock. An well known example is a geode. Many people consider druzy in jewelry or polished specimens highly desirable.

7F6E75A7-2B10-4736-B6F0-BAC2FD87D755.jpeg

BF564B13-03DB-4498-945F-FA697B0B67AB.jpeg

B687F877-C699-4481-B73B-4FD6CE9C6360.jpeg

2A5DA2D9-5AAC-468C-AE83-6508A15D2C4E.jpeg

I'm very pleased with the way this pen turned out and look forward to continuing to push the limits of stone materials in pen making.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Just incredibly nice !!!! :) :) :)

Following your work with intense interest !!!!

Thanks for showing !!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Wood and rock, my favorites. This is awesome. Beautiful work and quite a challenge. I have a slight suspicion of the obstacles, but not your solutions. But, you have an admirer!

PenPal

Love your work follow with excitement your productions that I fully understand after making a pen from Wooly Mammoth Tooth. Please send me by PM your contact phone or E Mail I would like to have a yarn with you. I have a son in law who lives in Utah commutes to Idaho for work.He is married to our third daughter.

Kind regards Peter.

eharri446

Having worked with stone to create jewelry when I was in the military, I can imagine all to well what you had to overcome to create such a beautiful pen.

WildWoodsAu

Very cool pen! As a reasonably new member to the IAP community i dont know much about turning stone..... whats the process like compared to wood, acrylic etc?

jttheclockman

That is beautiful work all around. Have no idea what that material is like to turn and probably never will but will enjoy looking at your creations. Thanks for showing.

Top Bottom