The Computer Is About To Go Out The Window!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnathan

OK, I think I finally feel good about my penmaking, I also feel pretty good about my photos, but, by the time I have the photos to the size that can be used on the site (150k) they look like crap. What am I not doing? Everyone else seems to have great looking photos. Until I figure this out I don't think I'll post photos anymore. They never look any good. Thanks for the help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It's relatively easy to get a great photo at 640x480 into a 150k jpeg. That said, to reduce the frustration of folks who have trouble doing that, <b>I've just increased the allowable file size to 250KB.</b> Please continue to try to reduce your file size as much as possible.

Johnathan

I'm using Micro. Picture It! I really like the program. I also have PhotoImpact7. I used the Microsoft Picture It for this one. After it is saved as a Picture It file, I convert it to JPEG. When saving as a JPEG in the options area I can change the file size, this is where it never looks the same. I've been thinking about buying Adobe Photoshop. I also use Corel. I like the Picture It program becuase it is pretty simple and I can alter the photo more easily. Thanks everyone for the help.

gerryr

I use Picasa which is pretty good and it's free. When I view my images as they are originally, the focus is excellent, but when you reduce the size and quality, focus seems to be the first thing to go. Picasa has a "sharpen" feature, which I now always use. That way, by the time it gets reduced, it still looks in focus.

Johnathan

Originally posted by jeff
<br />It's relatively easy to get a great photo at 640x480 into a 150k jpeg. That said, to reduce the frustration of folks who have trouble doing that, <b>I've just increased the allowable file size to 250KB.</b> Please continue to try to reduce your file size as much as possible.

Thanks Jeff! I will try to see if I can figure this out. Everyone else seems to make the 150k work, so I'll try and see what I'm doing wrong.

dfurlano

I have used photoshop for a long time but for just posting jpg's it is like using a shotgun on a mosquito.. not that I haven't used that methodology before.

Also, just an observation your last photo had a depth of field issue.

fuzzydog

Dan,
Here in Alaska the best mosquito repellent is a shotgun. A 410 seems to be about the right size. [}:)]

Sorry about the interuption. (the devil made me do it)

Pipes

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I use Picasa which is pretty good and it's free. When I view my images as they are originally, the focus is excellent, but when you reduce the size and quality, focus seems to be the first thing to go. Picasa has a "sharpen" feature, which I now always use. That way, by the time it gets reduced, it still looks in focus.
SINCE WE FOUND THIS WE USE IT ALL THE TIME WORKS GREAT AND THE SHARP UP THE IMAGE THING IS GREAT !! TRY IT YOU MAY LIKE IT !!![:D]

http://affordablepipes.com/

Jim15

Johnathan,
I'm far from a photo pro, but I think the more times you minipulate your picture and save it, it will get worst each time. Don't know if that applies to what you are doing but I have done that in the past. Hope I made what I am trying to say clear.

jim

Fangar

Johnathan,

I compress only slightly and change to 640x480. My average file size for that full sized no distored image is on average 45-60 kb. That is pretty good.

The following file size is only 47KB.

200651920334_corrugataburlgents2.jpg

If I ever get a chance to have you out to the house, I will get you a copy of the simple program that I have. It came with an old digital camera that I had years ago, but really has the best compression of any software I have seen. Even better than Photoshop in mist cases.

Cheers,

Fangar

Johnathan

Originally posted by Fangar
<br />Johnathan,

I compress only slightly and change to 640x480. My average file size for that full sized no distored image is on average 45-60 kb. That is pretty good.

The following file size is only 47KB.

200651920334_corrugataburlgents2.jpg

If I ever get a chance to have you out to the house, I will get you a copy of the simple program that I have. It came with an old digital camera that I had years ago, but really has the best compression of any software I have seen. Even better than Photoshop in mist cases.

Cheers,

Fangar

I see how it is, I have a problem and all you can do is show off another pen with an amazing finish.[;)]

Any help would be great. Thanks!

airrat

haha did Fangar give you a cloth to buff (rub) it in??
I use ACDsee to resize, view and auto balance my pictures. I love it. My wife uses a free one from the internet. Prob the same one posted earlier. The link did not work for me however.

alamocdc

I use Fireworks to resize mine, but I'm sure most don't want to pay that much for a program. I also use Picasa, but not to resize. Try the program that Lou recommended. I know quite a few that have had very good luck eith it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom