Temporary Gig and Hand Sanitizer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

As some of you are aware, I temporarily reentered the workforce at the beginning of the year. I expected to be re-retired by now, but even the best laid plans sometimes go awry. After conducting a round of interviews, we concluded that there were no outside candidates that we were doing backflips over and while we had some good internal candidates none of them were quite ready for the position. We decided to create two Deputy positions, post and fill those positions. My old (now new) bosses asked me to stay on and coach the new Deputies up with the hope that one of them would ready to take over within a year. I agreed with the understanding that I would transition to part time.

We like the rest of the world did not anticipate the Coronavirus. I am now telecommuting and it is difficult to mentor people distantly. In addition to that, I manage natural gas pipeline and railroad safety inspectors who have to stay in the field since they are considered essential personnel.

So as it turns out my temporary gig ain't so temporary and I have to deal with a pandemic and look after people who might be in harms way. We have instituted best practices that will hopefully help them avoid infection. Unfortunately, we have struggled to find a way to equip the inspectors with hand sanitizer (at least I do not feel it necessary to provide them with toilet paper). We did find a local distillery that converted their operation over to producing sanitizer and I picked up a 5 gallon jug and we are now in the process of filling bottles and getting them out to the inspectors.

I am hoping that my people will continue to be safe but am worried that someone will inevitably get sick.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Your concern for your colleagues/staff and your professionalism and experience is exactly why your company needs and values you. Your final concern is one I believe most of us will experience; If not ourselves, others we know or work with will at some time get the virus and will need to get healthy again.

Take care Cody (say hi to Lida).

GraiDawg

washing with soap and hot water is just as effective, if not more so than hand sanitizer. Alcohol (as found in hand sanitizer) is effective on surfaces they need to touch (after about 30 seconds). tell them to wear masks all the time, there are plenty of online resources on how to make them from available supplies. blue shop towels are 80% effective at blocking the virus, so i'm told.

Cwalker935

washing with soap and hot water is just as effective, if not more so than hand sanitizer. Alcohol (as found in hand sanitizer) is effective on surfaces they need to touch (after about 30 seconds). tell them to wear masks all the time, there are plenty of online resources on how to make them from available supplies. blue shop towels are 80% effective at blocking the virus, so i'm told.

Thanks, unfortunately they do not always have access to soap water in the field and that is why we think the hand sanitizer is important.

GraiDawg

Thanks, unfortunately they do not always have access to soap water in the field and that is why we think the hand sanitizer is important.
I figured water might be an issue but it is worth sharing anyway. It's also worth noting that if they are out in the wilderness mostly they are pretty much self-isolating anyway

1080Wayne

Would it be possible for them to take a large ice cream bucket or similar lidded container filled with soapy water (heavy on the soap) when from home when they leave for work each day ? I have taken to carrying a container of bleach solution with a cloth in it to wipe down steering wheel , door handles , radio controls , turn signal , windshield wipers , seat belt and anything else I might touch after being in a store .

MRDucks2

Cody -
I was able to acquire a "hand sanitizer" that is basically 61% alcohol. It is in 32oz pour bottles but I have also equipped and told my guys to get as needed 2oz PETE spray bottles from the travel section of toiletries at Wally World. Small enough to carry and puts out a small pattern fine mist great for hands.

my field folks also work mostly on their own isolated and nearly all site access is now either wave-through, call in or temperature check. It has taken 2 weeks but they all have hand sanitizer, disposable gloves and will soon have masks for where/when needed.

keep pushing, you will get them everything they need.

Cwalker935

The hand sanitizer I found is 80 % alcohol. We have instructed the field folks to maintain a six foot safety zone, to call the crew foreman and get a health check before approaching crews that are working, to conduct remote record audits, to visit only one crew a day, and encouraged them to wear masks and pack their lunches. We have also asked the Company's we inspect to inform us if any of their people test positive. We have two instances where the Companies have reported infected crew members and have devised a system where we can determine if our inspectors have been exposed to those infected individuals. In short, we are trying to identify best practices and implement them as much as possible and our folks have not had any problems so far.

MRDucks2

Fortunately my part of our business is making water clean for heavy industry ie. Refineries, power plants, etc.

A part of our company deals with making clean pure water for hospitals. Those folks go in covered head to toe, masks, face shields to change out vessels in labs and dialysis systems. My people do not envy them at all right now.

sbwertz

But you don't have hot soapy water in your car, purse, pocket, etc. A small bottle of sanitizer is a good substitute when away from home....like in a Dr. office waiting room. I also made some alcohol wipes by taking some baby wipes I had, putting them in a ziplock bag and pouring some rubbing alcohol in the bag and sealing it up. I keep it in the console of my car and use one to wipe down everything before I touch it, and things I buy. I use it to wipe down the outside of my nitrile gloves before I get back in my car so I don't have to use a new pair of gloves every time I get out, etc.
I have had to take my husband to a couple of Dr appointments, and had a couple myself that couldn't be postponed. I've done most of my shopping with curbside pickup or delivery. Sam's gives free shipping for Plus members.

Last edited:
Top Bottom