Teaching to turn

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jarred

My 11 year-old son indicated an interest in turning a pen last weekend. I haven't been turning pens for very long, but gave it a go on Saturday with him. It is easy to forget how much technique goes into the process! No one lost their temper or any significant blood volume, so I'd say it was a success. May be a few weeks before we have another go.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Good to hear there's someone interested in keeping this great hobby going. On another note I wouldn't want to wait any longer than necessary. I'm saying this not to imply anything just to give you something to think about if you haven't already. This could be one of the things to make great memories for both of you. Turn something for him when teaching that way if something goes wrong it's not your project. Your project is him not the pens. That's all I'm going to say because this isn't intended to be a lecture just a thought. I had other similar things to do with my son but I wish this could've been one as well. Enjoy your time.

I haven't turned a pen in several years and really have little inclination to going back to it.... I did teach my son to turn a couple of months back... he took to it like a duck to water and so far has close to 100 pens in his box... he's also sold about 20 or so of them to friends and former class mates.... it is a good thing I have a second lathe as he went in whole hog. He's about 5 times the age of the OP and was living with us between jobs for almost a year.... He's back on the road again as a long haul trucker, so I have my lathe and shop back again.

Jarred

Good to hear there's someone interested in keeping this great hobby going. On another note I wouldn't want to wait any longer than necessary. I'm saying this not to imply anything just to give you something to think about if you haven't already. This could be one of the things to make great memories for both of you. Turn something for him when teaching that way if something goes wrong it's not your project. Your project is him not the pens. That's all I'm going to say because this isn't intended to be a lecture just a thought. I had other similar things to do with my son but I wish this could've been one as well. Enjoy your time.
Good thoughts Kenny. I appreciate the advice.

Hey Jarred, just a bit of advice from another Montanan and an old fart that's made a lot of mistakes regarding my kids. I saw your a Plastic Surgeon and I all to well know the importance of keeping your hands, in-particular, safe from any kind of injury. But don't give up on this special time with your son (or daughter). It's a very special time that you'll only get once. If turning pens keeps you close, do it. I kick myself in the A$$ every time I think about what I didn't do with my son with woodworking. Don't wait, get out there and do it again. Just some advice from someone who wishes he'd done it a bit different.

Bob in SF

Jarred - Always great to pass skills along. Your son will treasure every moment.

As you know, the word doctor means teacher in Medieval French, Medieval Latin, and Middle English - pretty compelling triple etymology.

Warm regards - Bob

Jarred

Hey Jarred, just a bit of advice from another Montanan and an old fart that's made a lot of mistakes regarding my kids. I saw your a Plastic Surgeon and I all to well know the importance of keeping your hands, in-particular, safe from any kind of injury. But don't give up on this special time with your son (or daughter). It's a very special time that you'll only get once. If turning pens keeps you close, do it. I kick myself in the A$$ every time I think about what I didn't do with my son with woodworking. Don't wait, get out there and do it again. Just some advice from someone who wishes he'd done it a bit different.
Good advice. My kids like being in the garage, and I like having them out there. Sometimes it is difficult to see them as future adults, but when I do I am more patient with them. We'll definitely keep at it.

pshrynk

My nine year old grandson is fascinated with the process. He's a bit short to work on the lathe at the height I need it, but he does watch and ask tons of questions. Maybe after his next growth spurt I'll be able to start the hands on part of teaching.

Top Bottom