Tasmanian Musk - in progress.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ironwood

Ironwood

Been a month or two since I last turned a pen, so I thought it was about time to make another.
I started on this one yesterday, this is where I am up to today.

I have used a piece of Musk from Tasmania that has a bit of curly grain. The cap threads, section and cap are being made from a piece of pearly green acrylic acetate.
Cap threads are 12x0.8mm double start. The section thread is 9x0.75mm.
I have decided to do a Danish oil and wax finish on the wood.
DSC_1016 - Version 2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Wow, Brad !!! . That is superb !!!

Thanks for the inspiration !!!

Is the wood part glued (or threaded) to the green part ?

And will it be a FP or a RB ?

Ironwood

Wow, Brad !!! . That is superb !!!

Thanks for the inspiration !!!

Is the wood part glued (or threaded) to the green part ?

And will it be a FP or a RB ?
Thanks Mal.
The green part has a tenon to fit the drilled end of the wood barrel , it is epoxied together. The wood barrel has a brass tube epoxied in as well.

Ironwood

At the end of shed activities, this is where I ended up for the day.

I had some trouble with the section, as I was originally planning to use a gold Jowo #6 I have, with an old style housing. I didn't realise it had different dimensions than the newer style Jowo #6, I made the section off my drawing to suit a new housing, well things went a bit pear shaped at the end when I tried to modify it to fit the old housing.
I ended up changing tack, and using a Jinhau nib in a new style Jowo housing. Its not perfect, but will do, unless I decide to sell it, in that case I would make a new section.
DSC_1020.jpg

DSC_1022.jpg

magpens

Would be nice to see the whole pen, both with the cap in place, and with cap beside the body … please :) … when/if time permits.

I am interested in your concept of combining wood and acrylic as you have done. . And the overall profile.

Ironwood

After today, I won't get a chance to do any more turning for another week, so I got to, and made the cap today because like Mal, I wanted to see what it was going to look like in the finished state.
The resin parts only got a quick sand with 400 and 600, then less than 2 minutes on the buff ( I will have to redo later as I can see some swirls remaining )
I shortcutted on the clip, I used a gold cigar clip. Still undecided on how it looks, it does need a few tweaks to fit better.

I took it outside to use the last of the sunlight so I didn't have to setup flashes indoors. Just as it started to rain, so I just snapped off 2 quick shots. You can see a couple of raindrops on the pen barrel in the first pic.

Feel free to ask any questions, and offer any criticism.
DSC_1023.jpg

DSC_1024.jpg

TonyL

Been a month or two since I last turned a pen, so I thought it was about time to make another.
I started on this one yesterday, this is where I am up to today.

I have used a piece of Musk from Tasmania that has a bit of curly grain. The cap threads, section and cap are being made from a piece of pearly green acrylic acetate.
Cap threads are 12x0.8mm double start. The section thread is 9x0.75mm.
I have decided to do a Danish oil and wax finish on the wood.
View attachment 231162
Beautiful.

magpens

@Ironwood

Thanks for responding to my request for the two add'l pics, Brad

They are an inspiration and I am going to try making a similar pen. . Been thinking of doing this for some time; you are now my "kick start" !

I think the clip is fine. . You say it needs tweaks, but I can't see that. . The finished pen looks really nice !!

The raindrops on the barrel look GREAT !! . Symbolic of "just what Australia needs" at this particular time !! .
I try to keep apprised of fire news; I have vested family and personal interests in Oz because of my years living there !!
The green resin cap combined with wood barrel design is also symbolic of several things, including respect for our environment !!

This is a very, very appropriate pen design !! . Well done, Brad !! . THANK YOU !!

Last edited:

Ironwood

@Ironwood

Thanks for responding to my request for the two add'l pics, Brad

They are an inspiration and I am going to try making a similar pen. . Been thinking of doing this for some time; you are now my "kick start" !

I think the clip is fine. . You say it needs tweaks, but I can't see that. . The finished pen looks really nice !!

The raindrops on the barrel look GREAT !! . Symbolic of "just what Australia needs" at this particular time !! .
I try to keep apprised of fire news; I have vested family and personal interests in Oz because of my years living there !!
The green resin cap combined with wood barrel design is also symbolic of several things, including respect for our environment !!

This is a very, very appropriate pen design !! . Well done, Brad !! . THANK YOU !!
Hi Mal, I'm happy that I have provided inspiration !! I hope you show us your version once completed.

The main tweak that the clip needs, the tip is laying flat on the cap, it needs to be bent up a little so that it will slide over a shirt pocket. An easy fix.

The green + wood is an appropriate combination at this time here, it symbolises growth and rebuilding.

Ironwood

It looks like it would be very comfortable to write with. 👍
It does feel nice in the hand Mark. Although I prefer a slightly thicker pen.
I wanted to see if I could use 12mm cap threads and still achieve the smooth shape ( no step after the threads ) The maximum diameter is 12.5mm or half an inch. I think 13 mm threads would be ideal, but I don't have a tap and die. I have 12 and 14.

Top Bottom