Tap and Die Storage Containers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hokie

Over the years of kitless pen making, I have been purchasing various tap and die sizes as needed rather than buying entire sets. This is great so I don't end up with more than I need, however, lately I'm often being shipped the taps and/or dies in small zip top bags and not protective little hard plastic boxes or sleeves.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the plastic containers retailers use to ship individual taps/dies or is there some other storage/organization solution for folks who amass a collection and need to keep things tidy?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Harbor Freight or Dollar-and-a-Quarter Tree. HF storage boxes have movable partitions so you can make them any size needed. I use them for fishing tackle as sinkers, hooks, etc.

hokie

Harbor Freight or Dollar-and-a-Quarter Tree. HF storage boxes have movable partitions so you can make them any size needed. I use them for fishing tackle as sinkers, hooks, etc.
I thought about those adjustable partition boxes, but I thought 1 tap taking two spots seemed like a lot of empty space for each, but I may have to bite the bullet and just do it, absent any other option. Thanks!

hokie

These are perfect for taps, thank you! I don't know how I didn't run across those. I thought I tried every key word option. haha.
Maybe I can use the partition boxes for dies and these things for taps. It's all coming together!

egnald

I don't have very many taps (yet), only those for tapping bottle stoppers and such. Years ago I fell in love with the clear square tubes the PSI sells. I store all of my drill bits, stubby drills, taps, and other small tooling in them. Then most of them go into larger compartment boxes. I label all 4 sides of the tubes for easy identification at a glance.

As for dies, one of the few things that have caught my eye have been small plastic bottles with lids at our local Hobby Lobby store. The bottles are designed to fit coins, like Silver Dollars (1.5 inches in diameter). I haven't needed any yet, but if I ever do I might give them a try.

As for the plastic boxes I think you are talking about (the telescoping kind), I used to manage a machine shop, so every once in a while I get some of them from their. Collet chucks and other tooling they use often comes in them. The shop usually keeps a few around, but the bulk of them get sent for recycle.

Regards,
Dave
IMG_3479 Crp[[ed.jpg

dogcatcher

The grocery store, plastic bowls boxes etc for the small stuff. The plastic shoe boxes for the kits, supplies and tooling. A shoe box will hold everything need for making kit less pens

hokie

I don't have very many taps (yet), only those for tapping bottle stoppers and such. Years ago I fell in love with the clear square tubes the PSI sells. I store all of my drill bits, stubby drills, taps, and other small tooling in them. Then most of them go into larger compartment boxes. I label all 4 sides of the tubes for easy identification at a glance.

As for dies, one of the few things that have caught my eye have been small plastic bottles with lids at our local Hobby Lobby store. The bottles are designed to fit coins, like Silver Dollars (1.5 inches in diameter). I haven't needed any yet, but if I ever do I might give them a try.

As for the plastic boxes I think you are talking about (the telescoping kind), I used to manage a machine shop, so every once in a while I get some of them from their. Collet chucks and other tooling they use often comes in them. The shop usually keeps a few around, but the bulk of them get sent for recycle.

Regards,
Dave
View attachment 354699
Great ideas! Thank you!

hokie

I don't know why I didn't think about Uline. I literally just bought a bunch of jars from them. Those tubes look pretty tempting. I wish they had a 5/8" wide version though.

Roy Nielsen

Try U-Line. I've bought double ended tubes from them awhile back.
Can these tubes be easily cut with a sharp knife or something? Or are they brittle? Thinking of getting a few diameters of these in 8" and 12" lengths and then cutting down, getting multiples out of a single tube, to fit some loose tooling I have.

rherrell

I don't like to hunt for mine, my method is about as simple as it gets...I like simple!

IMG_9455.JPG
IMG_9456.JPG

This box sits right next to my mill and contains my "daily drivers". All of my spares and oddball stuff is in this toolbox...

IMG_9457.JPG
IMG_9458.JPG
IMG_9459.JPG

Last edited:

boatemp

Can these tubes be easily cut with a sharp knife or something? Or are they brittle? Thinking of getting a few diameters of these in 8" and 12" lengths and then cutting down, getting multiples out of a single tube, to fit some loose tooling I have.
They can be cut.

Curly

I used to work in a CNC machining plant and the tool crib would toss a barrel full out every month. If you have any machining companies in your area that are not high security places you have nothing to loose by going to the front desk and asking if the tool crib/room attendants would give you some of what they don't need. You would be surprised at what they may have. I have a tube that I keep a half inch torque wrench in, other boxes big enough for 10" saw blades.

Top Bottom