taking finish off

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

howdy

I was looking at some of the pens i made and use. I made them so i could test out different styles and finishes.

Some of them look ok, but there as some that have lost the "look"
and need to be cleaned and or refinished. Ill assume i can disassemble the pen with out breaking it. Yea right....[:p]

Is it possible to take off the finish completely and start over with bare wood ?[?] Without ruining the wood

If yes what do we use. I have some friction polish, CA, spray Lacquer, and regular wax polish on the pens.

Im trying to think what i have used in the past but nothing "gentle" seems to come to mind.

thanks....pete

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have done this with acetone on CA finished pens. Worked well and fairly quick. Acetone will remove most waxes quickly too. Not sure how it will do lacquer, but it would not hurt to try. I have also turned it off with a skew and finished with sandpaper.

Dario

Best way I found is to totally disassemble the pen and re-sand and finish.

I've read so much good things about the HF transfer punch for disassembly. Thought I wshould mnetion it, though I haven't bought/used it personally yet.

of course there are chemical ways to remove them (acetone, thinner, mineral spirits, etc.) depending on the finish you used.

Another thing I can share with you...it can be more difficult to refinish a pen than to make a new one.

Good luck!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom