Tailstock wheel for Shopfox 1704

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InkyMike

I figured I'd post this here in case anyone else is looking to make one. It's probably been covered somewhere but someone on an FB group asked me about it. Below is my description on how I did it:

I did it a little backwards. I had turned the wheel thinking I'd mount it to the outside of the hand crank. Realizing that was going to be more complicated I epoxied a "nose" on it and turned it down to the inside diameter. I then drilled a couple holes in the crank and used a couple of 3/8" set screws to hold it in place.

I'll make a nicer handle for it at some point - I just threw in a segment of threaded rod I had on hand and used the knob off of a cheap drill press arm that had recently broken.

It's not elegant but it works.

Attachments

• D8447F17-0311-4FBC-90E3-AFFA1A8B8240.jpeg
    D8447F17-0311-4FBC-90E3-AFFA1A8B8240.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 87
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RobA

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering if you guys could tell me about these handwheels for head and tail stocks. Why did you wind up needing to make them? Did they break? I'm asking mainly because I am looking at one of these machines for making pens.

Thanks,
Rob

InkyMike

I realize this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering if you guys could tell me about these handwheels for head and tail stocks. Why did you wind up needing to make them? Did they break? I'm asking mainly because I am looking at one of these machines for making pens.

Thanks,
Rob
Rob

I found the larger tailstock wheel made it much easier to move it in and out. My wheel wasn't a great designed and ended up cracking so I need to make another one.

That said, I've had great luck with this lathe

Michael

Top Bottom