Taiko Drums for the Band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TerryDowning

TerryDowning

As some of you know, I do a lot of volunteering for our local Marching Band.

The theme of this years show is "Samurai, Way of the Warrior"

Last spring it was decided we really needed some Taiko (Japanese Drums) Drums to really make the effect.

Taiko Drums typically cost thousands of dollars each. So, some of our parents started doing some research and we built them ourselves (only hundreds each now).

Here is a pic of the end result.
Taikos800x600.jpg

Here is a link to photos of the building http://sdrv.ms/KafyGi. It took most of the summer, a lot of effort by many people, a couple of gallons of TiteBond III as each barrel stave had to be glued back into place and all gaps between the arched barrel staves and the plywood reinforcing rings had to be filled (Dust collection on belt sanders is great for making this filler along with the glue) and of course A LOT OF HARD WORK.

I was asked to handle building the stands that the drums sit on. While I helped with some of the Taiko Construction, I was not a key player there. But, the stands are all mine. These are the fourth revision on design.

Here is a link to the band in action West Ranch High School Marching Band Rampage 2012 - YouTube at our latest competition where we took the Highest honor of Sweepstakes Award (Meaning we had the highest overall score in the competition out of 28 Bands)
Highest score for Percussion section,
High Visual Appeal Award
High General Effect award
First Place Colorguard (Flags and Rifles) in our division.

We have three performance's left this year.

This weekend we travel north 350 Milies to the San Francisco Bay Area to compete in Union City at Logan High School.

Next week, another local competition in Moorpark, CA

and then the week after Thanksgiving we compete in the Southern California School Band and Orchestra Association field show championships for our division where we are currently Ranked number 1 by more than 4 points.

Our boosters are all very proud of the kids on this year's performance. I am especially proud of of my Senior Baritone Saxophone player and of course, the Taikos (which we actually hope to sell to offset the cost of production and perhaps make a few bucks for the band as well)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Very impressive to say the least! Love the drums, that is some great work. You must be very proud of your involvement. Great band. Thanks for sharing.

TerryDowning

It's all about the band.

It's a constant struggle for us to get the football players off of the BAND FIELD so we can practice and perform.:biggrin:

Rick P

Drums are a lot of fun to make! I have made them using ceramics, turning, stave, hoop and traditional core burning techniques. Always fun to make a great and powerful noise!

Taiko is not an easy style, they got there work cut out for them.......did you atempt a base Taiko? Ya know the one thats like 6 feet in diameter.....they are kinda they core of the drum team, the heart beat if you will. They have a diferent name but I haven't done Japanese style drums since college and it escapes me right now.

That was great... love watching the Japanese drummers.

I had the occasion to act as transport for the Ondikoza drummers when they came to Houston back in the mid '80's... a troupe of about 25 young Japanese drummers and one Swiss lad who joined the troupe for a year... the Ondikoza drummers live on one of the smaller islands in the Japanese complex.... they made their own drums, set up and dismantled them all, made their own drum bats (they were literally small bats and I saw more than one broken in their drumming)...

Top Bottom