Table top drill press recommendations?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I've been searching the archives, but it keeps timing out on me. I know some here use a tabletop drill press from Lowes/HD that has decent quill travel (something like 3", IIRC). And, best of all, I thought the price was like $100 or $125 for the press. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Billy,
Like you, I got the 17" Tradesman from Amazon while it was on sale, and love it. This is for a friend, and Amazon's price isn't QUITE as good as it used to be! [:D]

leehljp

Member Liaison
Check out Harbor Freights DPs. They have some pretty good DPs with good quill travel and in that price range. They have them on sale often and there are printable 20% off coupons available occasionally too.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Jimgo-
This is not necessarily a correct answer to your question but I have a Ryobi bench top with a 3&1/8th quill travel.I believe I paid about $160.00 for it 3 years ago.
If shop space is limited I would suggest you forego a bench top model and get a floor model.
In this case bigger(taller) is better.
The BTDP is in no way a portable unit.If you have scarce bench top space it becomes a dedicated unit.
I have seen plans for shop cabinets that utilize a cut out for the post of a full size DP giving you additional area for a worksapce under the table of the DP.
If I upgrade to another drill press it WON'T be a bench top of any kind.
In the price range you are looking in I would imagine except in extreme cases they are pretty much the same.

Rifleman1776

I'll ditto what Eagle said. My drill press is a Grizzly G7943. Even though it is an excellent machine, I regret not getting the floor model. Think about this, both have the same footprint. But the floor model is far more versitile. Do shop around and compare value. That's not the same as price. Quality and features factor into value.

JimGo

Thanks guys; I'll pass on the recommendation about the floor-size drill press versus a bench-top. Eagle, it was the Ryobi I was thinking of, thanks. For some reason, I thought it was a little less expensive.

Randy_

I almost bought a Ryobi at Home Depot where they are listed for $149.99; but decided to spring for a little extra and get the one from Harbor Freight.

<<<http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38142>>>

This puppy weighs 125 lbs so it is not portable if that is what you are looking for in a benchtop. The thing that finally sold me on this unit is the 16 speeds, some of which are very slow, so I could use large Forstner bits. If you don't have a HF store close by, the Ryobi is probably a better choice as shipping would put it well over $200.

If you are patient, this DP goes on sale from time to time and if you can catch a 20%$ coupon at the same time, it can be had for about $130 plus tax.

I agree with those who comment that a floor model is generally a better choice. In my shop, however, I have more table space than floor space so the bench model was the better alternative.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Thanks guys; I'll pass on the recommendation about the floor-size drill press versus a bench-top. Eagle, it was the Ryobi I was thinking of, thanks. For some reason, I thought it was a little less expensive.
As a bench top for the money I have no issues with the model I have.
I believe it is a 16" model,(whatever HD has in that price range)
They did have another one on sale at the time I believe it was a 10" model(distance from the center of the bit to the post)
IIRC that model only had a 2+ quill travel.
If you get a bench top you WILL regret it.

This is the newer(but similar)DP121l model I have.I can't see why a laser is necessary but they added it in.
http://www.ryobitools.com/power-tools/category/C63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom