table saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

schellfarms

Thinking about a new table saw--my first and hopefully last. Can anyone make any suggestions? What do you like and why? I'm not sure what features are really important, other than a good fence.
Any thoughts?....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
In order to make pertinate suggestions, we need a few questions answered first. About how much do you want to spend? What do you plan to make with it? How much room do you have? Does it need to be on a mobile base to move out of the way when not in use?

rpasto92

I don't remember the name but I saw it on DIY Tools and Techniques. There is a saw out there that if the blade hits a body part is stops and retracts within a few thousandth of a second. It may run you a few hundred more than another table saw but how much money is a finger worth to you? I'm waiting for them to make the parts to be able to retrofit other table saw brands so I can add it to my fairly new craftsman saw I bought about a year before seeing this one.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by rpasto92
<br />I don't remember the name but I saw it on DIY Tools and Techniques. There is a saw out there that if the blade hits a body part is stops and retracts within a few thousandth of a second. It may run you a few hundred more than another table saw but how much money is a finger worth to you? I'm waiting for them to make the parts to be able to retrofit other table saw brands so I can add it to my fairly new craftsman saw I bought about a year before seeing this one.

It is called Saw Stop. Reportedly, it is a very high quality table saw. The company that developed the technology originally did so with the intention of selling the license to existing table saw manufacturers. There were no takers, go figger. So they started making their own and it has been successful. This is discussed occasionally on Saw Mill Creek. Join and do a search, you'll find a lot of info on Saw Stop.

twoofakind

Rockler just sent out a sale flyer with a Jet saw for ony $399. I think it normally sales for around $600. We use a Ridgid from Home Depot with the Jessem Mitr Slide.
Andy

wayneis

To me it would depend on how much flat work you plan on doing. If you plan on doing much you really need to look at a good fence system is a must. Then you need to choose between a contractors saw and a cabnet type saw. Again it depends on what youi plan to use it for. I have a Delta contractors 10" saw with a Incra fence system and it does a very good job but I wish that I would have went with the cabnet saw in the first place.

Wayne

DCWoodworks

If you live close to a Grizzly store (around 200 miles or less), then yes, They would be a great choice for your next saw. If you do not, and have to have the saw shipped, I would suggest going somewhere else. The freight charge is (understandably) outrageous, usually around $85-$165 depending on weight. Craftsman is really good (either 22114 contractors, or 22124 cabinet saw, cant go wrong with either one of them). Keep an eye out on different forums for someone selling an old unisaw, and you can get a geck of a deal.

GBusardo

Check out www.woodmagazine.com , go to tools and tool buying and do a search on table saws. You will find more info there than you will ever need or want. FYI, I have a Jet contractor saw. It does a fine job with a decnt blade. I have had the saw almost ten years. That $399 price seems like a steal.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by DCWoodworks
<br />If you live close to a Grizzly store (around 200 miles or less), then yes, They would be a great choice for your next saw. If you do not, and have to have the saw shipped, I would suggest going somewhere else. The freight charge is (understandably) outrageous, usually around $85-$165 depending on weight. Craftsman is really good (either 22114 contractors, or 22124 cabinet saw, cant go wrong with either one of them). Keep an eye out on different forums for someone selling an old unisaw, and you can get a geck of a deal.
Grizzly often has "deals" on shipping.
AS far as other brands go, do you think they "donate" the shipping charges if bought in brick and moratr stores?
You pay one way or the other.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I stay clear of any magazine report that uses advertizers revenue for financial sustanance.
This includes web site that rate tools.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by schellfarms
<br />Thinking about a new table saw--my first and hopefully last. Can anyone make any suggestions? What do you like and why? I'm not sure what features are really important, other than a good fence.
Any thoughts?....

Sarah -
If you included your location a little more exactly in your profile, there might be some people here on this forum that do flatwork who may be able to suggest a WWking club or even there own equipment to show you what to look for in either a new or used saw.

schellfarms

I live in N. Mississippi--about 1 hour south of Memphis, TN. Most of the woodshops here (all 2 of them) are trying to get away from having lots of stuff on the show floor, so it's hard to look and compare. I would ultimately like to learn to build furniture and the saw would be put in one spot and left there. I'd like to spend as little as possible, but realistically, maybe 800 or so. I'm leary of the new stuff crafstman puts out--just haven't heard good things about their overall quality, but no real firsthand knowledge. I saw the jet ad, and wondered if it would be good for me. the fence looked kinda cheap in the ad i saw.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Originally posted by schellfarms
<br />I live in N. Mississippi--about 1 hour south of Memphis, TN. Most of the woodshops here (all 2 of them) are trying to get away from having lots of stuff on the show floor, so it's hard to look and compare. I would ultimately like to learn to build furniture and the saw would be put in one spot and left there. I'd like to spend as little as possible, but realistically, maybe 800 or so. I'm leary of the new stuff crafstman puts out--just haven't heard good things about their overall quality, but no real firsthand knowledge. I saw the jet ad, and wondered if it would be good for me. the fence looked kinda cheap in the ad i saw.

If you want to build furniture and plan on leaving it in one place, I have heard nothingh but good about the Grizzly cabinet saws.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1023z
Thsi is about as close to $800 as you will get on a cabinet saw wit a 3hp motor.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
GOSH! I can't believe I am even going to suggest this, but the Craftsman "zipcode" saw has gotten decent write ups on woodworking sites.
try a search on Woodnet Power tools forum.
That being said, the Grizzly cabinet saws usually get a thumbs up also.
There is a lot to ne said for older "big iron" sold used but you must realized these saws were made to last.
Replacing parts and complete rebuilds are not unusual when you look at the sweat equity you may have to put into them.

RogerGarrett

I'm sure you will receive a multitude of answers on this one.

Your first question said your first, and hopefully your last table saw.

If you only want to buy once and not upgrade later, you should be looking for a 3 hp machine or bigger. Delta and Jet make very good saws in this category, and Grizzly is also a good saw - although, in my opinion, not as good a saw as the first two mentioned. The Saw Stop, mentioned earlier, received rave reviews from a recent Fine Woodworking magazine - which reviewed the top cabinet saws. But - it is very, very expensive. And - while the safety factor is great, if you ever have to use the safety brake, you are out a blade and a brake - which will cost you nearly $200 to replace. Still it is cheaper than a vist to the doctor for a prosthetic. Jet, Delta, and Powermatic all received good reviews as well.

When I first got into woodworking, the advice given me by a friend who has a woodworking shop as his living was to purchase the best I could afford at the time - as the table saw is the very heart of your woodworking hobby/business (if you are talking general flat work). I couldn't afford much more than $700, so I purchased a Jet Cabinet Saw with the extras - extended table, cast iron wings, etc. It had a 1.5 hp motor - and it was a very, very nice saw - although it had an open setup compared to the cabinet saws. The biggest problems I ran into had to do with the lower power (resawing thick pieces of oak or maple tended to bog down or heat up the saw - causing it to overload and me have to wait to reset it) and the fence - not nearly as exact as I would have liked in terms of measuring and quality of build. It cut square - but the fence had cheap friction pads that liked to fall off - and I had to continuously heat glue them back on.

When an ad in the paper came up two years ago, it had a whole slew of top line equipment (table saw, planer, jointer, lathe, drill press, shaper, accessories galore) - a guy was selling all of his stuff out of his garage - no place to put it in his new home. He was trading DOWN for a Shopsmith (don't react Shopsmith owners - he was trading the dedicated equipment that is always better for a nice Shopsmith that saved him tons of space). I got his Delta Cabinet Saw with hinged extension table, mobile base, complete cabinet system, pro-guard, sliding miter table (left side of saw), extra blade, zero clearance insert, and all manuals for $1100. I sold the sliding table for $300, so I was out $800 for a saw that, with the extras, would have cost nearly $3000. After having used a smaller, underpowered saw, the Delta is like a dream. The resale on the Jet was great - I got $550 for it six years after purchasing it with well over 2000 hours on it - but I kept it nice, and the guy has reported back that it is perfect for him. Maybe Jet is a good way for you to go? Whatever you get - be sure it has a good fence system and cast iron tables that can adjust.

If you can afford a cabinet saw - it is worth looking at those I have mentioned. I've also heard very good things about the ShopFox.

Good luck!

Roger Garrett

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom