Table Saw Sled and jig

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Parson

My friend Dan made this cool table saw sled and I asked him to make me one as well since I'm just a woodworking noobie.

The sled is 16 inches by 24 inches and has an Incra jig bolted into it. The Incra jig allows me to cut very thin slices of material for segmenting, and cut more than one and have them all the same width.

The part with the hinges and knob holds the material down so the saw blade doesn't kick it out.

I had my eye on the shipbuilder's mini-table saw for $500 (Byrne's amazing machines, which you should still check out because they're so freakin' COOL) but using this has aleviated the urge to buy that piece of equipment.

Attachments

• PICT0835.jpg
    PICT0835.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,787
  • PICT0837.jpg
    PICT0837.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,267
  • PICT0838.jpg
    PICT0838.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,563
  • PICT0839.jpg
    PICT0839.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,267
  • PICT0840.jpg
    PICT0840.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 1,037
  • PICT0836.jpg
    PICT0836.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

That is cool!

I was a bit puzzled by the black knob and how it is mounted. You want to keep any metal out of the path of the saw blade.

rherrell

I agree with Randy about the handle. Instead of holding the piece you're cutting with your hand in the way you should have some sort of clamping device instead. That will allow you to cut "hands free".

Here's the two I use in my shop.........

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the larger one. I use it for oddball shapes and bigger pieces.

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is the small one. It's perfect for pen blanks and I can cut any angle.
As you can see I also made a clamp for cutting the round blanks. Celtic knots are a snap with this little guy!

They're not that hard to make. Just some scrap wood, a few knobs and a little imagination.:wink::)

Attachments

• sleds 001.jpg
    sleds 001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 10,053
  • sleds 002.jpg
    sleds 002.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 6,152
  • sleds 003.jpg
    sleds 003.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 11,855
  • sleds 004.jpg
    sleds 004.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 7,223

hilltopper46

Here's the two I use in my shop.........

<<SNIP>>
This is the small one. It's perfect for pen blanks and I can cut any angle.
As you can see I also made a clamp for cutting the round blanks. Celtic knots are a snap with this little guy!

They're not that hard to make. Just some scrap wood, a few knobs and a little imagination.:wink::)

Thanks for posting these - I agree with Paul - this gave me some incentive AND ideas about how to finish one that I started over a year ago...

moke

Hey Rick---
Those are awesome sleds! I have bee looking at building the bottom version of the two you showed.

I have a question that I am wrestling with and please don't take this as a critisim. How could that be modified so that you know what angle you are cutting easier?

Is there a jig that could be put inside it? I take it when you are cutting a 90 crosscut you just lay the blank against the t track and when you are splitting a blank you just measure from your saw blade opening, but I don't get the angles?
Thanks--
Mike aka: Moke

Parson

I neglected to put a waste block between the holder wood and the material for the pictures. What I do is put a waste block under the hinged block with the black knob on it and set my saw blade to just touch the bottom of the waste block. My hands are nowhere near the work, and I can keep both sides of the work in place throughout the cut.

Rick, I really like the sleds you have, but for my work I need to be able to measure the cuts with a stop of some sort.

Precision is the key with my sled setup... I need to be able to make pass after pass on a block of polyresin (basically three blanks' worth of material from a mold) and get identical thickness so the pieces will match my designs. This is where the Incra Jig comes in. Repeatable cuts.

To cut at angles, I have simply made blocks at various degrees to put in the left side.

Last edited:

Roy_Quast

Here is a sled, jig that I made a while back for a ryobi 10" saw. It has great repeteablity but can not cut angles. The hold down board keeps my fingers right where I want them, on my hand away from the blade. The hold down clamp, the one with the red handle, holds the squaring board down for repeted cuts of the same width. The bolt in the block is a stop for making the same cut from the same board or even a different one. The black knob is to hold the board to be cut down while it is being cut. That is how my hands are out of the way. It's not the best or the only one but it works for me. Hope this gives someone a new idea that they can use.
Roy

IMG_6358.jpg

rherrell

Hey Rick---
Those are awesome sleds! I have bee looking at building the bottom version of the two you showed.

I have a question that I am wrestling with and please don't take this as a critisim. How could that be modified so that you know what angle you are cutting easier?

Is there a jig that could be put inside it? I take it when you are cutting a 90 crosscut you just lay the blank against the t track and when you are splitting a blank you just measure from your saw blade opening, but I don't get the angles?
Thanks--
Mike aka: Moke

Moke, I use pieces of 1/4" masonite(hardboard) and clamp them down whenever I need to cut angles. I cut a piece about 4" square and then cut the angle on my miter saw. I just put the straight side against the t-track and clamp it down. The piece of hardwood acts as a stop and I can cut as many pieces as I like and they're all identical. If I need to make repetitive cuts, say thin strips, then I do the same thing with a 90 degree piece of hardwood.

penicillin

I acknowledge that this is an old thread, but want to add this comment:

You can buy a small parts sled if you don't feel like making one for yourself. I won this small parts sled as a giveaway at a Christmas party. It costs way too much for what you get, but it is a nice sled:
https://www.rockler.com/rockler-table-saw-small-parts-sled

Making your own small parts sled is easy. I've done that, too. If you look at the instructions for the Rockler small parts sled, you can see how it goes together and make something similar for yourself. The drop off platform is a wedge, and remember to cut the T-track short on the bottom so there is room for the T-bolt or hex screw head to get into the T-track.
http://go.rockler.com/msds/55916-smalls-parts-sled-inst.pdf

Top Bottom