Table saw blades

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Saw blades come in a lot of varieties, as we probably all know. I only use combination blades. Am I missing the boat by not using blades made for rip cutting or cross cutting. I would be continuously changing blades. What do you all do?

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

Curious about this also. I have a few blades but usually use my combo blade and can usually get glue-up ready cuts with it. Since you're doing segmenting, I wonder if a specialized blade would give you more accurate cuts. Will be following along to learn from the experts.

Curly

If you have a lot of ripping to do a rip blade is easier on the saw and cuts faster. A crosscut blade gives a better finish when crosscutting. Same applies to cutting a lot of sheet goods. Less tear out with the right blade. If you are doing lots of general work that you would need to keep changing blades for then the combination blade shines. Combination blades are a compromise but the best cuts are with the right blade.

KenB259

The blades I use get me glass smooth cuts, so I'll probably continue on as is. I was just wondering if there was that much of a difference and if most people use them or combo blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

John Eldeen

A good combo blade is all I use unless I am working on a project that has a lot of the same cut (rip, cross, or plywood). The only time other than that is if I and cutting melamine I always change the blade for that it really helps the chip out on the cut.

bsshog40

As I don't do a whole lot of big cutting on my tablesaw, I use 1/8" kerf blade. Does what I need it to do.

jttheclockman

I think Pete summed it up well. They make different blades for a reason. If you are doing ripping and crosscutting alot then of course a combo blade is the way to go. But if ripping alot of wood you are wasting your time using a combo. Switch to a rip blade and also if crosscutting alot then switch to a cross cut blade. If segmenting I like a good 60 tooth blade and many times switch to a 7-14" blade because I get a thinner blade. Cutting metals I switch to a nonferrous blade and save the carbide on the wood blades. Plywoods and othe materials have their blades too. Freud is a good reasonable priced line of blades and I like to use them. But I also have my Forrest blades and better blades.

Top Bottom