swirling resin ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

doddman70

So I got my first order of resin and I have done a few pours playing with the different dyes I got both from Mr. fiberglass and some from artstuff.com I have been very happy with the blanks that I have produced they have turned great and I cant believe how aggressive I have been able to get with this stuff. I have turned other pr that I had to be very careful with or I would have major blowouts. Not sure of the difference between what I have poured and others that I have turned but I am definitely happy.

Now my question. I tried doing a swirling pattern with blue and gold with the blue being the bulk color and then swirling in the gold when the cast was done all the gold settled to the bottom. Can the type of dye used make a difference? The blue was a paste type dye and the gold was a powder. Do I need to add the catalyst first and wait for the resin to start to set up and then pour? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shane

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

getting nice crisp swirls has been the goal of several casters. I do very little color casting but I think I may have a few suggestions. The main problem is the two masses of colored resin tends to mix together and not stay two colors. Remember mixing red and yellow colored water in Jr. Hi Science? Same think here I suppose. Suggestions: (1) There is an additive to help the resing jell quickly but does not change the curing time. It is called "jell enhancer". Seems to me if the resing jells quickly, then whaterver swirls we can get will not have time to mix if the resin has jelled. I've never used it so I don't have a definite answer. (2) Leaving the two colors unmixed until they just start to thicken, them pour them together and swirl. Hopefully the timing will be so that jelling will take place soon after the swirling and before the colors blend together. (3) This I have done. Pour the resin into the mold..one color then another...in layers or sort of at the same time. I use the round ice trays from Wamart. I then take a wire and bend a 90 degree bend on the end...maybe 1/4 inch long. I dip the bent end down the middle of the resin all the way to the bottom and as I bring it out I give the wire a turn or two or three as I pull it up and out through the different colored layers. I try different ways of doing this...dowm the center...down two or three edges..just play around.
Good luck and...
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by doddman70
<br />So I got my first order of resin and I have done a few pours playing with the different dyes I got both from Mr. fiberglass and some from artstuff.com I have been very happy with the blanks that I have produced they have turned great and I cant believe how aggressive I have been able to get with this stuff. I have turned other pr that I had to be very careful with or I would have major blowouts. Not sure of the difference between what I have poured and others that I have turned but I am definitely happy.

Now my question. I tried doing a swirling pattern with blue and gold with the blue being the bulk color and then swirling in the gold when the cast was done all the gold settled to the bottom. Can the type of dye used make a difference? The blue was a paste type dye and the gold was a powder. Do I need to add the catalyst first and wait for the resin to start to set up and then pour? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Shane

mrplace

The type of dyes you use are a factor. I have less desired results with my translucent liquid dyes, than I do with my powdered mica's.

A couple things I have done to get different effects are;

1. I cut a 3/4" wide piece of plastic (like from a butter bowl lid), and as long as my 3/4" PVC tube. I slide it in to the PVC, and pour a color on each side. Then I slowly pull the plastic out while I rotate the PVC until the plastic is all the way out.

2. I alternate pouring the colors in the mold. I pour a half inch of one colr, then a half of the other etc.

3. I got some syringes from the feed store (the large ones), and ground the sharp point off the needle, and then used it to reach in to the mold with a solid color and inject my own swirls.

4. Pour a mold 3/4 of the way full of one color, and then pour the remainder with another color. I then dropped several BB's in the top and let them settle to the bottom. Note, this should be done before the resin gets thick, or you will have BB's stuck in the middle because there is to much surface tension to allow them to drop all the way.

5. Pour in flat square molds. It is easier to control the swirls, and add colors.

Just my two cents worth. I have gotten alot of nice swirls and combinations with these methods.

SteveRussell

Hello Shane,

This is an easy fix... All you need is a product called a "Gel Promoter", this is added to the resin and it allows subsequent materials (like your gold color) to be added without the material sinking to the bottom of the mold. It works great with powders, micas, wet colors and lots of other materials. You should be able to get it from any of the suppliers you mention. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

doddman70

Roy I am assuming you mean the gel promoter? that I don’t know I emailed Mr. fiberglass and he had no idea what I was talking about if you or anybody else knows where it can be had please post it here I would sure like to know myself[:)]

Shane

cozee

I too would like to know where to get this promoter! I usually let the the colors set in their mixing cups until they begin to thicken but not gel and then quickly pour them into the mold. I am working on a different type of swirling method. Going to try a pour tomorrow night. I will post results in this forum Thursday or Friday.

johnnycnc

Here ya go.I found the gel promoter here..http://www.yaley.com/molds/Gel_Promoter.htm

Originally posted by doddman70
<br />if you or anybody else knows where it can be had please post it here I would sure like to know myself[:)]

Shane

redfishsc

I am not a casting guru, but if you are making a good number of blanks the same color, go to Walmart in the kitchenware section and buy yourself a dozen of those cheap clear mustard/ketchup squirt bottles (like 75 cent each). Mix up your resin (with the gel promoter) and color, pour into those bottles, and squeeze it out and swirl it into whatever mold you are using. Doing this without getting bubbles is not that easy though.

SteveRussell

Hello to the group...

Apologies for not answering the questions about the gel promoter, but I have been in Hawaii for the last two weeks and my internet connection was dicey at best. It looks like a couple of the other members pitched in and helped out, Thanks! If there are any more questions, let me know.

elody21

Be VERY careful with the gel promoter. While it may work very well the chemical odor is worse than the resin itself! When mine came I could actually smell it though the packing box! I now work outside with all my resin and I still use a mask. Very nasty stuff.[:(][V][xx(]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom