Swaging rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Penultimate

Greetings
I mentioned that I swaged a ring on my Birthday Bash submission and some asked how I did it. Here is a short description of how I swage rings. I hope it helps you get started. I would appreciate comments and questions. Good luck.

Attachments

• Swaged rings.pdf
    879.5 KB · Views: 389
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Very very nice write up. Needs to go in library. Well documented. I will need to dive into this more for next years group of pens for sure. I am bookmarking and saved a copy to my files. Thanks for sharing.

Pierre---

Thank you so much for your work Mike.

But something seems strange to me : you say the difference between the diameter of the body and the diameter of the groove is .008, which means the ring is .004 or .003 thick at the end of the process, which seems very little to me, and what I can see on the last picture seems more .04 than .004 . Maybe inches are messing up my metric mind, but are you sure of the groove depth?

Did you ever try with other metals?

Penultimate

Greetings
Thanks for the comments. I'm glad I could finally contribute something. I've learned so much from everyone on the forum and just never felt I had enough knowledge to help.
Pierre, I will look at my calculations again. There groove depth is small, I want to make sure the material moves. I haven't tried any other materials. I would like to do some work in brass someday.

Top Bottom