Surgery went well, but scared to return to shop.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hey guys!! It's been a little bit!

I finally had my "stomach surgery" on Wednesday (I say "stomach" because it involved parts of esophagus, the stomach, hernias and so on; so stomach is easier to say! Lol!).

But surgery went really well and I spent 3 days in the hospital getting some strength back. Sadly, due to "Covid surge", my husband and daughter were not allowed in the hospital at all so it was 3 days of flying totally solo. And thanks to the power of medication & residual anesthesia, I was too unfocused to read my phone or even watch tv, but I do remember dreaming of working on my lathe and I would move my hands in my sleep and wake up in my bed confused why my hands were in the air 😆

But lots of sleep was had, with endless walks around the unit to keep the nurses happy, and my liquid diet is annoying but after 3 weeks of clear fluids I get to have watered down soups again! Huzzah! 😜 next week is applesauce and pudding.

I was told that I can return to my activities after I heal (but no lifting over 10lbs for the first month and 20 for the first 6 weeks) and I'm excited to get back in my shop again soon, but also a bit apprehensive. The pre-op diet made me so ditzy and mentally loopy, that I refused to set foot in the shop for 3 weeks for fear of making a dangerous/painful mistake. now on the flip side of surgery, I'm mentally stronger but my body is a bit banged up and I'm scared to operate sharp tools near spinning machines right at scar levels (most of my scars are front and center on my stomach). I always wear an apron, but it's canvas, not leather and I'm intimidated by the potential danger. I'm hoping in a week or 2 I'll feel more confident going out there, but for now I'll just hang out around here getting my fix ☺️

But on a bright note: the soreness/healing is going well! I'm sore and things sting along the incisions a bit, but the soreness isn't as bad as I thought. I've actually been more sore after a week of bronchitis coughing than I am now after surgery, So that's good! Here's to quick healing and finding a burst of confidence somewhere that I'm not going to impale myself the first time I go back out there!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for the updates; Praying for you. And missed your posting too. But take care of yourself.

Your liquid diet reminds me of when my wife was in the hospital in Japan for a month, and during the first two weeks - she was given "essence of rice soup" - or extra water put into cooking rice then drained. She said, "at least it had a semblance of flavor". 😌

sorcerertd

Glad to hear you came through it all well and are on the mend. If you don't feel comfortable working in the shop, there's probably a reason for that. Dare I say "go with your gut feeling"? I pray that you will feel well enough to resume normal activities (and diet!) very soon. I guess you can nose around here and get some ideas until then.

MPVic

Hey Lauren: Good to have you back, praying for a full recovery. Don't rush things, there's just too much risk & we'd like you to stick around for awhile! ;) Another thought, if you go back into the shop too soon, you might void the warranty on your surgery!!! 😁

randyrls

Hope you heal fast and completely! Someone I know who works on REALLY LARGE turnings, wears a chest protector like baseball umpires and catchers wear.

gimpy

Happy for the great news.
Take your time and listen to what your
Dr. And family tell you
You don't want to go back wards

Brooks803

Glad your surgery went well! It sounds exactly like the Hiatal Hernia surgery I had a little over a year ago. I now have 5 belly buttons or so it looks. I hope it's all you need to get through everything. Do listen to the docs regarding what foods to eat and when! I lived on Ensure. After you graduate from watery soups Cup-O-Noodles were what I ate. When you do try real solid foods for the first time take very small bites and chew well! Your esophagus is going to be much tighter and food will get "stuck". A quick drink usual clears things up. I hiccup like crazy when food gets stuck now, but at least it's below the windpipe so I can breathe.

As for going back to turning....get your stamina back before doing any turning. It took me 2 months or so before I attempted anything. Even then I couldn't stand there for long.

Joebobber

Please don't over do it! Speaking from experience it is not fun having to get stitched back up because your incision split open. I know how hard it is to not turn or create, but just start slow. Take care and goodluck!

TDahl

Hi Lauren,
Glad to hear your surgery went well. Get some rest and take your time getting back into the shop. When you do get back please do share your creations.

Go back to the shop when you feel comfortable.... unless you have a conclave of elves living nearby, all will still be there when you are ready.

About 6 or 7 years back, I had to have an umbilical hernia repaired.... I have an 8" scar running alongside my belly button... I spent 7 days in the hospital getting nothing to east except ice and water... totally bedridden for the first 4 days, then hikes around the halls.... when they finally did offer something of sustenance, it was a clear beef broth and it made me sick.. at both ends. It took me another 2 or 3 weeks to get back to the shop afterwards. You'll get there in good time.

Bryguy

Wishing you a speedy recovery. I recently had shoulder replacement surgery. I'm itching to get back to the shop. Right now I'm limited to "the weight of an Ipad", so some time to go.:(. Be a patient patient and listen to your Dr.

sbwertz

So did you read some Terry Pratchett while you were recovering? Maybe not a good idea if laughing makes you hurt......

When I had my umbilical hernia repair, they didn't feed me for a week, just ice and water.... every time I ate a piece of ice or sipped the water would get the hiccups... I had an 8" incision down the middle of my belly.... you don't want hiccups.

KMCloonan

Glad to hear you are on the mend. Take your time. Maybe start a journal of pen ideas that you can work on when you do return to your shop. I peruse the library here and download instructions for all sorts of stuff I want to make someday.

Top Bottom