Summer Extravaganza Under 14 Youth Contest 2015

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Here are the rules for the 2015 Youth contest, comments and questions are welcome.

Welcome to the 2015 Summer Extravaganza, Under 14 Youth Pen Contest,

This contest is to let our young members and turners compete in a pen making competition within their own age group. This contest is for Young Turners under the age of 14

Your age group is determined by your age on the start of the Summer Extravaganza, August 1st, 2015.

Pens constructed from any commercially available component set are allowed.
No laser work or cnc produced pens or parts are allowed.
Center bands and/or finials may be modified or eliminated. No other modifications to the commercial component set are allowed.

An individual under the age of 16 who is not eligible for membership in the IAP. Anyone who enters this contest must be sponsored by a registered IAP member and the entries to the contest will be submitted by the sponsoring registered member on behalf of the participating youth. The member sponsoring an entrant to this contest is responsible for all aspects of the youth's safety and well being. In the event that the sponsor is not a parent of the youth being sponsored, it is the sponsor's responsibility to obtain parental consent for participation.

LET THE YOUTH MAKE THE PEN! Sponsors must ensure the safety of the youth and should not allow the participant to perform a function or technique that is beyond the skill level. However do not get carried away and contribute to the physical creation of the pen by doing things that the youth is able to do. The role of the sponsor is to ensure the safety of the youth, offer advice and guidance, demonstrate a technique when necessary on a scrape blank, and oversee the process. Sponsors are to have minimal, "hands-on" contribution to the creation of the pen that is entered in this contest.
Above all else safety First! Use your best Judgement and keep it safe.

Entries will be emailed to the contest chair at mike@silverpenparts.com and will include the following:
Complete name and mailing address of the youth entering the contest.
Screen name, complete name and address of sponsor.
Relationship of sponsor to youth.
A description the material used to create the pen, the turning experience of the youth, any problems encountered during the creation of the pen and the solutions that overcame them.
DISCLOSURE OF ANY "HANDS-ON" CONTRIBUTION OF THE SPONSOR TO THE CREATION OF THE ACTUAL PEN.
Here are the rules for the 2015 Youth COnteUp to three photos of the pen. If any photos of the entered pen are found to have been posted anywhere prior to August 1st, 2015, the entry will be disqualified.

All pictures will be posted at the same time to have equal time in the spot light.

The contest will start on August 1st, 2015 and entries will be due no later than Monday August 23rd, 2015 at 11:59pm EST. Pictures will be posted and there will be two polls to determine 1st place. The first poll will determine the finalists by vote of the membership. Members will be asked to vote for up to, but for no more than, three entries. The 2nd poll will contain the photos of the five pens receiving the most voted in the first poll. In the event of a tie for 1st through 5th place, that result in more than five photos receiving the five highest total number of votes, all photos within that group will be posted in the 2nd poll. Members will vote for one pen in the second poll.

Rules are subject to change for clarification or safety. In the event of a dispute over the rules the Contest Chair, the Activities Manager or Administrator will make the final determination as to the intent of the rule.

The Universal Contest rules apply
Universal Contest Rules

We Now Have Great Prizes!

First Place ...from Exotic Blanks a $50.00 Gift Certificate
Second Place..from Signature Pen Supply a $50 Gift Certificate
Third Place ...A $25.00 GC for any of the IAP vendors!
Random drawing from Smittys a package of pen kits!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have added The Prizes to the contest rules that were donated by the generosity of our vendors and members. Make sure you thank them.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
No, I will remove it. I may have had something in mind and then changed my mind.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
We have a sure fire Entry! YES!
and if its the only one he will win all the prizes and glory for all ages!

There is still time and the days not over, so get your selves and a child or seven, (grandkids count also) out to the shop and make those pens.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
There is about 1 week left to get that kid and get a pen made. Hopefully there are young people at the lathe right now finishing up their Master Piece for the competition.

Skie_M

*sigh* ... still working on the wife part so that I can obtain said kid ...

Does it count if I just pick one up from the local pound?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
yes that counts you can sponsor a child. As long as they are under 14! No sponsoring your dads son.:biggrin:

Skie_M

One of the assistants at a local kid's club gym has seen my pens and asked if I'ld be willing to give a class to interested kids... sometime next year. Well, the kids will benefit, and perhaps we'll have this again next year! :)

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This is the last weekend to get a pen made and get it into the Youth contest. If you dont have an eligible child of your own go ahead and borrow one!

magpens

When Does This Contest Close

The contest will start on August 1st, 2015 and entries will be due no later than Monday August 23rd, 2015 at 11:59pm EST. Pictures will be posted and there will be two polls to determine 1st place. The first poll will determine the finalists by vote of the membership. Members will be asked to vote for up to, but for no more than, three entries. The 2nd poll will contain the photos of the five pens receiving the most voted in the first poll. In the event of a tie for 1st through 5th place, that result in more than five photos receiving the five highest total number of votes, all photos within that group will be posted in the 2nd poll. Members will vote for one pen in the second poll.
Does this contest close on Sunday August 23rd, 2015 at 11:59pm EST,
or on Monday August 24th, 2015 at 11:59pm EST ?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Did not catch that earlier.

I will close it on Monday August 24th at 1159pm EST. to allow anyone who was planning on Monday to complete a pen.

Skie_M

*sigh* ....

Still don't have a wife yet ... I guess I'll give it a few years before I start training up a protege ...

lyonsacc

I'm sorry to say my 2 boys won't make it this year. Got started almost a month ago, but we won't be able to finish them on time. I've had a boatload of medical issues this year (nothing too major, but a bunch a junk) and have not been able to do much in the shop. They took the news well and are still looking forward to finishing their pens (hopefully next month sometime).

Skie_M

Nieces? Nephews? Small orphans left on the side of the road?

I was at the local McDonald's in the playplace area where I saw a skinny little girl from Nigeria sitting in a little box labeled "Lost and Found" .... She was holding up a sign that said "Free, Take One".... but by the time I got to the box, she was already gone. The manager asked her to leave if she wasn't going to buy anything. :(

Beyond her, my brother and sisters have no kids, my cousin's kids are all little girls under 6 years old, and the local boy's and girl's clubs are looking at me kinda weird for hanging out at the basketball court asking how old the boys are .... :bulgy-eyes: Though their gym coach knew what I was doin there, lol ... I'm casing the kids out for a free class/workshop next year where I may be teaching some of them how to turn pens and keychains.

Top Bottom