Stuck on You...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rclotsch

rclotsch

I have been turning for only about 5 months. I have gotten pretty good at pens but tried turning a bottle stopper the other day and now I can't get it off the threaded shaft. Not sure, but I may have gotten CA glue on the threaded shaft when I glued an insert into the stopper. Anyway, I have tried using brute force with padded channel-locks, freezing the whole thing for 8 hours then heating the wood stopper in hot water, and prayer......all to no avail. I'd like to save the wood stopper, if possible, but may have to resort to destructive methods as a last resort. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Rich Lotsch
Vacaville, CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Try hitting - carefully - the end of the screw while holding the stopper in your hand. CA will sometimes fracture when hit sharply and maybe, just maybe, it will come loose for you. If not try to find an oil filter removal tool with and adjustable fabric strap. Mount the screw in a vise and then use the strap and twist like crazy. Something will have to let go ....

Good luck!

Randy_

Heat the threaded shaft with a propane torch or even on the stove. Heat will break down the CA but you need to get to around 250°. Hot water won't do it.

Aderhammer

Originally posted by woodworker

You might try using CA Glue Debonder. It comes in 2 oz. bottles and is always handy to have around. AS and PSI both sell it.
That stuff is overpriced acetone. Go to your local hardware store or woodworking store and pick up acetone.

THarvey

Originally posted by Aderhammer

You might try using CA Glue Debonder. It comes in 2 oz. bottles and is always handy to have around. AS and PSI both sell it.
That stuff is overpriced acetone. Go to your local hardware store or woodworking store and pick up acetone.

Better yet. Send you wife to the beauty supply store (Sally's for example). Acetone is about half the price of hardware stores.

My wife picked up a half gallon for less than $3.

woodworker

Originally posted by Aderhammer

You're right about the acetone working, but the debonder is actually nitromethane which does not evaporate as quickly so it might penetrate the threads a little further. It IS over priced stuff though. Arizona Silhouette gets $5 for 2 oz. and PSI gets $8. It certainly makes sense to try the acetone first.

rclotsch

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I finally got the stopper off the shaft by leaving the whole thing on the dashboard of the car parked in the sun all day. Daytime temps have been around 90 degrees. At the end of the day, I was able to twist it off with a friend's help using just our hands. :D

Top Bottom