Stratus Disassembly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I've been pondering how to disassemble a couple of Stratus click pens that I need to refinish. I tried using the punch in the past but mangled the plastic click mechanism. This time I decided to drill a small piece of delrin and cut it in half to protect the plating. I was then able to apply quite a bit of pressure with the vise grips without damaging the plating. I like to use a golf grip repair vise holder thingy to hold the pen in the vise. I tapped a little bit with the punch while twisting and rocking slightly with the vise grips. Luckily I was able to disassemble both pens without any noticeable damage. I thought I'd share my technique because I see Stratus disassembly come up from time to time.
IMG_20200426_212547.jpg IMG_20200426_212915.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Congratulations on the successful disassembly !!

Thanks for showing some of the details !

Not being a golfer, what is this: .... "a golf grip repair vise holder thingy " .... and where do you get it ?

Is it associated with the two black "protective pieces" that I see in the vise jaws either side of the pen ?

I also see the punch going down the barrel of the pen; but I also see another, looks like a black rod, along the top of the pen ?

Morse

The advice I received about removing the click part of the pen without damaging the centre plastic, was to use another barrel from the same kit and cut a long it, that way it would fit inside the original barrel but either side of the click mechanism. if that makes any sense?

Dehn0045

Not being a golfer, what is this: .... "a golf grip repair vise holder thingy " .... and where do you get it ?

Is it associated with the two black "protective pieces" that I see in the vise jaws either side of the pen ?

This is one example: https://www.ebay.com/p/1063001149?iid=181659665609 . I cut mine in half.

I also see the punch going down the barrel of the pen; but I also see another, looks like a black rod, along the top of the pen ?

I think you're looking at the clip.

Dehn0045

The advice I received about removing the click part of the pen without damaging the centre plastic, was to use another barrel from the same kit and cut a long it, that way it would fit inside the original barrel but either side of the click mechanism. if that makes any sense?

Have you actually done this with success? The problem I was running into with this approach is the threaded fitting at the opposite end doesn't allow a full diameter piece to be slid in. I think you would have to remove the lower fitting to get this approach to work. Which would be about the same effort/risk as removing the click end. Also, the plastic piece is pretty close to the tube diameter, so there isn't much room to slide something outside.

Brotherdale

I have successfully disassembled the Stratus several times by using the soft grip pliers from PSI. I grip on the upper assembly with the pliers then holding the barrel firmly with my hand. I can tap on the pliers with my dead blow hammer. I don't have a pic. but I can post one later.

Dehn0045

I have successfully disassembled the Stratus several times by using the soft grip pliers from PSI. I grip on the upper assembly with the pliers then holding the barrel firmly with my hand. I can tap on the pliers with my dead blow hammer. I don't have a pic. but I can post one later.

More or less the same idea, i guess mine is just the poor man's version :p. The delrin is a little slick, so I had to reposition a few times. It might be better to use a piece of rubber or something more grippy under the delrin -- i tried packing tape but the adhesive wasnt strong enough and it just slid around. I was worried that using only something soft would allow the vise grips teeth to poke through. Part of my problem was that I used blue threadlock on the fittings when I assembled the pens, so the fittings were stuck in there pretty good.

Morse

Have you actually done this with success? The problem I was running into with this approach is the threaded fitting at the opposite end doesn't allow a full diameter piece to be slid in. I think you would have to remove the lower fitting to get this approach to work. Which would be about the same effort/risk as removing the click end. Also, the plastic piece is pretty close to the tube diameter, so there isn't much room to slide something outside.
The easy answer is no. I Havn't Used this method. It was given to me after I had destroyed a click mechanism from a "compentent " maker of pens.

Top Bottom