Strange wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Joebobber

Joebobber

I got this wood from a guy closing his shop. He said he's had it for 20+ years. He said it's definitely a rosewood, he just didn't know what kind. I turned a ferro rod and before I put a finish on it you could see the grain. It was black with black grain. It smelled like a perfume an old lady at church wears. Very strong. I took a picture of the blank with the finished rod. Anyone know what the heck this is, or how do I figure out what it is?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211119-160239_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20211119-160239_Photo Editor.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 148
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The number of different Rosewoods it could be, is large! Other than a documented wood ID, I wouldn't sweat it beyond a 'Rosewood.'

Nice turning. If it smells like you described, that's my mother!!! šŸ¤£

Dehn0045

I've never done it, but sending a sample to USDA for analysis is probably the most accurate method for ID. Without analysis I think you can reasonably call it rosewood, but anything more specific is probably a stretch.

PatrickR

I've never done it, but sending a sample to USDA for analysis is probably the most accurate method for ID. Without analysis I think you can reasonably call it rosewood, but anything more specific is probably a stretch.

i recently sent a couple samples to them and found they only identify the family. A waste of time for me as I already new what family the pieces were in.

PatrickR

Nice piece with a great finish.
I would still bet on Brazilian Rosewood. Once you have worked it you won't forget the smell. I have not worked any other rosewood with the same smell.

Joebobber

Nice piece with a great finish.
I would still bet on Brazilian Rosewood. Once you have worked it you won't forget the smell. I have not worked any other rosewood with the same smell.
Thanks for the compliment. I really hope it's not since that would be a huge waste of it. Like the time I used what turned out to be cocobolo burl on a ballpoint twist pen.

PatrickR

I wouldn't consider it a waste. Small plain pieces of BRW are still easy to get. I made a pentel from some. All of the really nice stuff was cut for guitars long ago though.

Top Bottom