store bought pen reconstruction

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MedWoodWorx

has anyone tried to use the pen ink cartridge/mechanism from a commercial pen in a handmade pen?any advice is welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

If you search this site, you will find posts on:
  • redressing standard BIC ballpoint pens
  • redressing Pentel mechanical pencils (usually 0.5mm, but other sizes are possible)
  • redressing Sharpie refills

duncsuss

I made a pen barrel and cap to fit a commercial fountain pen nib section, but it was several years ago and I don't remember the details. The only hard part about that was matching the threads on the section to screw into the barrel, everything else was a standard (non-kit) pen build.

I also made fountain pen nib sections that take a Pilot CON-50 ink cartridge-converter. For this, I made a nib section with a short piece of stainless steel tube to fit the mouth of the converter (instead of the usual hole for the nose of a standard converter.)

MedWoodWorx

Thank you all for your input, my main concern so far is the bushings. Do folks turn such small pens without bushings? Dunno if i can. Besides that, are 5.5 mm pen tubes available in the market? I don't think that such a delicate pen can survive for long without tubes.
Another approach would be to use a ballpoint pen kit with a custom tip which is nice but i think its a compromise in a way. My goal is to make a pen for a sketch artist; someone who uses a pen many hours a day and is used to a small weight and size. So the best way is to emulate the original pen as precisely as possible.

P.S. i am glad that there is a word for it and its redressing, it means there are more pen deviants out there than i thought, cheers.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
You can buy 5.5mm brass tubes on Amazon (and a variety of other diameters). They are generally 12" long, so you will have to cut them to whatever length you need.

MedWoodWorx

You can buy 5.5mm brass tubes on Amazon (and a variety of other diameters). They are generally 12" long, so you will have to cut them to whatever length you need.
well all the 5.5 mm copper tubes are sold out, i found some aluminum tubes however, i hope that aluminum is ok

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
well all the 5.5 mm copper tubes are sold out, i found some aluminum tubes however, i hope that aluminum is ok
Aluminum should work; however, I haven't shipped your PITH pen yet, so I just ordered a set of three 5.5mm brass tubes & will add them to your package when they come in. They should be here Thursday, so I'll get your pkg in the mail early next week. They are 11 inches long, so I might have to cut them in half.

Are there any other small items you need? I'll be glad to help if I can. I know it can be hard to find pen supplies where you are.

Edgar

MedWoodWorx

Aluminum should work; however, I haven't shipped your PITH pen yet, so I just ordered a set of three 5.5mm brass tubes & will add them to your package when they come in. They should be here Thursday, so I'll get your pkg in the mail early next week. They are 11 inches long, so I might have to cut them in half.

Are there any other small items you need? I'll be glad to help if I can. I know it can be hard to find pen supplies where you are.

Edgar
Wow edgar i have no words, thanx a lot but please let me measure it again and i ll let you know. I really appreciate this.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Wow edgar i have no words, thanx a lot but please let me measure it again and i ll let you know. I really appreciate this.
No problem - just let me know. Many other sizes of small tubes are available & I can return the 5.5 tubes if they are the wrong size.

MedWoodWorx

No problem - just let me know. Many other sizes of small tubes are available & I can return the 5.5 tubes if they are the wrong size.
Ok i double checked i need 5.5 (inner diameter) tubes, aluminum of copper are both ok. Thank you for your trouble

Top Bottom