Stolen from Dave, then Ken

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike

Thanks to Dave and Ken for the ideas.

I finished my epoxy caddy this morning. I bought 2 of the 15" X 20" HDPE cutting boards from Sam's Club and a box of 1" X #8 screws at the hardware store. I put swivel casters on the grinder stand and then made a tray to sit on top of the grinder stand from the cutting boards. I used the leftover HDPE to make the epoxy caddy. The HDPE machines great on the table saw with combination carbide blade. Small drill bits are fine too, but I tried one of my recently purchased center drills as a countersink and it bit in and would have made a mess if I hadn't immediately stopped the drill. It bit into the HDPE and pulled itself in. I should have known better. I made the holes for the epoxy bottles and prescription bottle with a hole saw. This stuff melts at a very low temp, making using a hole saw a little difficult. I had to cut about 1/8" and back out and cool the hole saw and clean the teeth and then repeat until it was drilled through. It is not pretty, but it is functional.
I don't have much room in my shop, it is full of tools and stuff I have collected over the years. So I needed a space to keep my epoxy, sand paper and CA, etc. that was easy to move around. This was my solution. I don't many of think the adhesives will stick to HDPE. It is impervious to DNA and brake cleaner.
Feel free to comment (improvements), criticize, etc.

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• 20230717_153524.jpg
    20230717_153524.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 20230717_153531.jpg
    20230717_153531.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 111
  • 20230717_153517.jpg
    20230717_153517.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 110
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love my table saw and band saw sleds made from HDPE and stock guides. Your modifications/jigs look excellent.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I really hope I'm not the only one that doesn't know this. What are "stock guides"? Also curious as to how thick those cutting boards from Sam's are. Thank you.

One of many, but there is a store close by, so I am comfortable giving them business. I suspect cheaper ones are available online.

WriteON

Thanks to Dave and Ken for the ideas.

I finished my epoxy caddy this morning. I bought 2 of the 15" X 20" HDPE cutting boards from Sam's Club and a box of 1" X #8 screws at the hardware store. I put swivel casters on the grinder stand and then made a tray to sit on top of the grinder stand from the cutting boards. I used the leftover HDPE to make the epoxy caddy. The HDPE machines great on the table saw with combination carbide blade. Small drill bits are fine too, but I tried one of my recently purchased center drills as a countersink and it bit in and would have made a mess if I hadn't immediately stopped the drill. It bit into the HDPE and pulled itself in. I should have known better. I made the holes for the epoxy bottles and prescription bottle with a hole saw. This stuff melts at a very low temp, making using a hole saw a little difficult. I had to cut about 1/8" and back out and cool the hole saw and clean the teeth and then repeat until it was drilled through. It is not pretty, but it is functional.
I don't have much room in my shop, it is full of tools and stuff I have collected over the years. So I needed a space to keep my epoxy, sand paper and CA, etc. that was easy to move around. This was my solution. I don't many of think the adhesives will stick to HDPE. It is impervious to DNA and brake cleaner.
Feel free to comment (improvements), criticize, etc.

Thanks,
Mike
Too neat. Too clean. Too organized. Makes me look bad.....

Woodchipper

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery. Good to use ideas from others. This is one of the many strengths of this forum.

moke

One of many, but there is a store close by, so I am comfortable giving them business. I suspect cheaper ones are available online.
Mark, not sure the thickness, but they are too thick for guides for my saw stop, however, it cuts and machines really well...I just send it thru the drum sander and it comes out just fine. If you cut it and then drive the screws thru them and go too deep it will expand it, I just take a file and put it one its side and "file" it to the correct width size. Conversely, if it is a touch thin, crank on the screw to expand it a touch.

Mike

I really hope I'm not the only one that doesn't know this. What are "stock guides"? Also curious as to how thick those cutting boards from Sam's are. Thank you.

The cutting boards say they are 1/2" thick, but the two I bought are .480". This didn't matter in this project.

Mike

Mike

Thanks to all for the comments.
The screws expanded the material out from the countersink holes. It is a lot softer than wood. I think you might be able to avoid most of the expansion if you don't drive the screws with an impact. Use a screwdriver and take care not to overtighten. I was afraid the screws going into the edge would bulge the material. I tested the drill in a scrap piece and found the size that held but did not expand.

Mike

howsitwork

Suggest you turn yourself a pen insertion tool using an off cut from the boards.Epoxy and Ca don't stick to it and by turning a gentle taper you can make one to fit all tube sizes.

Top Bottom