Still working out the process

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Henry

I completed another kitless today. The material is a faux jade acrylic blank. The section was done using a step bit I purchased from Rick (rherrell). It made life so much easier. Y'all buy one if you haven't already. Those with a keen eye may see a small crack on the barrel threads. The crack looks pretty small. I place some thin CA on it so hopefully it'll hold. Still working things out..

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 21F5559D-699A-4582-B3BC-3B3A85F2E676.jpeg
    21F5559D-699A-4582-B3BC-3B3A85F2E676.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Henry

Thank you all. How do you guys keep threads from messing up? I did the m10x1 section threads first, plugged it w a threaded scrap part, then thread the 13x8 triple start. Used lube and all and it still cracked. I thought I went pretty slow. Maybe not?

PatrickR

Nice pen! Did you make the clip?
always do the male threads first, then drill and tap for the section. The plug keeps the diameter from being compressed during threading but nothing to reduce the torque put on the tenon.

Henry

Thanks! No the clip I purchased from exotic pen blanks. I haven't ventured into clip making yet.

Henry

Nice pen! Did you make the clip?
always do the male threads first, then drill and tap for the section. The plug keeps the diameter from being compressed during threading but nothing to reduce the torque put on the tenon.
I will try that next. Do I need to make a ring for the outside thread before tapping? I saw it on YouTube why I ask..

PatrickR

I will try that next. Do I need to make a ring for the outside thread before tapping? I saw it on YouTube why I ask..
I have done it without but it's good practice. It will keep the tenon from expanding, helping the section fit.

one thing to think about when your section is the same material as the barrel would be to try and keep the pattern aligned. If you were to remove a little material from the return of the section and or the tenon edge it would allow the section to screw in a little more, putting the dark side of the section and barrel on the same side

Nice pen!

Henry

I have done it without but it's good practice. It will keep the tenon from expanding, helping the section fit.

one thing to think about when your section is the same material as the barrel would be to try and keep the pattern aligned. If you were to remove a little material from the return of the section and or the tenon edge it would allow the section to screw in a little more, putting the dark side of the section and barrel on the same side

Nice pen!
So kind off nibble at the back end of the threaded part? Or the front of the section. I guess I'm asking what is the return?

duncsuss

I strongly recommend this - for both the barrel (before you drill and tap for the section to screw in), and before you drill into the threaded tenon of the section (where the ink cartridge/converter will fit in). My percentage success rate on sections improved a lot when I started using a threaded collar around the tenon.

PatrickR

So kind off nibble at the back end of the threaded part? Or the front of the section. I guess I'm asking what is the return?
Sorry, a term used from my sign days. Where the tenon returns to the full diameter. So the flat above the threads. Allowing the section to screw in a small amount more. Take off small amounts and test fit, it doesn't take a lot.

Bryguy

When I have both an inside and an outside thread, as in the barrel end. I either
  • tap the inside thread first and use a threaded piece of acrylic to plug it before applying the die to the outside thread. (Since all my section are 10 x 1 threads I have made plug with a screwdriver slot cut in the top so I can get out)
  • cut the outside thread then apply a threaded ring to it befor tapping the inside thread
This has cut down on the thread cracking almost 100%

Henry

Looks like I may have purchased the clip at turners warehouse and not exotic blanks as fore-mentioned.

Henry

When I have both an inside and an outside thread, as in the barrel end. I either
  • tap the inside thread first and use a threaded piece of acrylic to plug it before applying the die to the outside thread. (Since all my section are 10 x 1 threads I have made plug with a screwdriver slot cut in the top so I can get out)
  • cut the outside thread then apply a threaded ring to it befor tapping the inside thread
This has cut down on the thread cracking almost 100%
Thanks! I will try

Top Bottom