still learning polaris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Shifter

Shifter

its a polaris kit with walnut burl, red ebony and kusia wood.
thanks for looking
Ralph

polaris.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Looks great! Nice clean segmenting. Would you consider adding separators between the segments, to help accentuate them? Like thin slices of white credit card stock would really pop.
Is that what the thin red or white rings that I see are? Exactly what is that?

Shifter

thanks for all the replies I did look for some cards around the house before i made it but couldnt find any i do think it would of looked better if i had used some.
thanks
Ralph

Humongous

thanks for all the replies I did look for some cards around the house before i made it but couldnt find any i do think it would of looked better if i had used some.
thanks
Ralph
Some Brass shim stock would look great with the gold. Michaels, Hobby Lobby both carry it.

KMCloonan

When I exhausted all of the random gift cards around the house, I went looking for places to buy the cards. Amazon has plenty. Here's an example: https://www.amazon.com/IDCS-Plastic-Cards-30mil-White/dp/B0CR6TFNQ9/ref=sr_1_11_sspa?crid=2KPDWBZK9XAZF&keywords=pvc+cards+blank&qid=1706978087&sprefix=pvc+cards,aps,133&sr=8-11-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9tdGY&psc=1

I bought .030" and .020" cards so I never run out.

I also bought thin Brass and Aluminum sheets on Amazon. A buddy of mine was having his shake roof replaced, and they used copper flashing - he gave me the scraps from that job - the copper looks great as well.

In addition to plastic and Metal, I have used Vulcanized fiberboard of various colors - it's also called Fish Paper.

Lastly, there's always good old colored veneer. I use that frequently for dividers.

Shifter

Ok cool thanks. I just tried using some metal sheet i had from hobby lobby and I scuffed it up before i glued it in but when i tried to drill it, it separated from the wood. so my question is what and how do you glue them together?

KMCloonan

What kind of glue did you use? I use epoxy, cured overnight, for this. CA is too brittle. I have also used Polyurethane glue (e.g. Gorilla Glue) with decent results.

Also, what kind of drill bit were you using? Stay away from brad point bits for this. Also, slower drilling speed seems to work better for me. Others may have other suggestions,

Shifter

What kind of glue did you use? I use epoxy, cured overnight, for this. CA is too brittle. I have also used Polyurethane glue (e.g. Gorilla Glue) with decent results.

Also, what kind of drill bit were you using? Stay away from brad point bits for this. Also, slower drilling speed seems to work better for me. Others may have other suggestions,
LOL that explains it I used ca and brad point thanks for the info.
also can a normal hss skew handle turning the metal?
do you skuff up the plastic and metal for better bond?

Last edited:

KMCloonan

I can't answer the Skew question since I use primarily carbide tools. I do always scuff the plastic or metal inserts to give the glue more "bite".

d_bondi

I have not actually done any of this... BUT I have seen multiple videos where folks drill the individual pieces first and then epoxy the whole assembly around the tube.

sorcerertd

The colors go well together and your segment spacing is really good. The finish looks pretty nice, too.

As far as dividers, craft paper works, too (construction paper). You can choose whatever color you want. If you use multiple layers, it can give a striped effect, but tight clamping helps minimize that.

Top Bottom