Starting with Feather Pen blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wimkluck

I want to cast a Feather Pen blank. I was searching and looking if I could find anything here on the forum. And yes I found a PDF by Shane Whitlock about casting these blanks. Shane make these blank with a flytying method. I looked at the blanks made By John U and I don't think he made these the same way.
I am a fly tyer myself and I don't see how you tie the small feathers on the blank. I think they are glued. Which glue do they use
Can you put bigger feathers on the blank. Do you need to remover the shaft or part of the rachis.
Also suggestions about which bird feathers are welcome. A have a lot on stock.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I've made a few myself basically the same way in the video. As far as putting feathers on a tube and casting a blank isn't too difficult to accomplish. The true art is arranging the feathers to look uniform and smooth. IMHO it's like making a flower arrangement. It's easy to put several flowers in a pot or a vase but arranging them to look balanced and natural takes a special talent. Needless to say I can't do either. I've used several of John U's feather blanks when I wanted a special pen. So kudos to those talented people that can accomplish a nice smooth blank. I do wish you well and have fun.

wimkluck

We will see if I talented. Color combinations are not my strongest points. This is an example of working with feathers and fur.
20230715_205048.jpg

The one in the vise is to catch dutch pike. The two small ones are for trout For the flytyer (adams)

Top Bottom