Stank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pshrynk

I'm having a problem when turning plastics with the smell. I don't think I'm running too hot, just the usual stink that goes with cutting the stuff. My wife often comes down to my shop in the basement and tells me that the house is too stinky. I wear a mask with carbon filters, so I don't smell anything until I take it off to tell her that, "No, I'm no... okay, yeah."

I've been looking at filters on the interwebs but can't find any that specifically address this. Any ideas out there? I should say, any ideas out there that don't include digging around the foundation and breaking through a hundred year old stone laid basement wall to vent outdoors?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I have the same problem, wife cant stand the smell. That's one reason I do very little acrylic. And the kicker, my wife is a quality engineer, in a plastics company.

JohnU

Stay clear of antler!!! She'll really be ticked! Sometimes I think my wife has the nose of a bloodhound. She'll come home hours after I cut it drilled something and know as soon as she walks in the door. I guess I've grown used to some of those odors and don't notice them as much.

howsitwork

Microlene do an activated charcoal bench side filter unit that will suck in the fumes and dust at source BUT you'll still have to bag up the unit and clean it afterwards

widely used by the pyrography guys over here

pshrynk

It should (I think) be possible to carefully drill through the stone laid wall . Is any portion of it above ground level ? Cheaper to buy your wife a carbon filter mask , though .
There's about 8 inches above the ground. Probably was more back in 1912 when it was built, but the gardens have been mulched up over the years.

pshrynk

Hello, Do some research on portable smoke hogs. They should do the job for you.
Gary
Well the initial Google came up with this:

1618515286414.png

That should probably do it, I would think... :oops:

Mullanphy

I use a Honeywell HPA300 True HEPA Air Purifier for oil painting in a 10' x 11' studio and the odor of the paint, turps or any other thinner is evident anyplace else in the house or in the studio can be smelled. It also collects pastels/chalk dust. Without it, the smell seems to permeate everything for several hours to a day. I've also used it in the shop to eliminate spray painting odors. It does need to be set near the source, but it works amazingly well.

On the lathe, my dust collection system collects may not pick up all the chips and shavings, but it does suck up the dust and smells.

Fuzzy63

In your search you need to add the word portable. They have small units on rollers.. Have seen them installed on lazers to remove the smoke and smell at various wood shows.

Tell her it's the smell of money!!! I once did a big time multi-million dollar annual contract with a very large dairy farmer. We were standing on a manure pile (unknown to me) and when I asked him what we were standing on he said, "boy, we're standing on a heap of cow S&*T". Loved the story and love passing it along.

sorcerertd

I have that same issue. I don't much care for the smell, but the wife... well, she is ultra sensitive anyway. Someone with too much cologne will give her an instant headache. I just warn her and make sure she doesn't need to do anything downstairs when I work with the plastic/resin materials. This is why I am hesitant about casting. As much as I want to, I'm afraid it might bother her too much. Fortunately, my shop can be aired out some, and as long as the chips and ribbons are picked up and taken out asap, the smell is usually dissipated in an hour or two.

Also, I generally don't run the DC when I cut the plastics/resins unless I am dry sanding or squaring the blanks on a sander. Otherwise, sanding is done wet anyway. If the shavings or chips get in the DC unit, the stink just blows around again the next time I use it. I may yet vent it outside since I have a DIY cyclone sort of setup, so only fine dust gets past the impeller anyway.

pshrynk

In your search you need to add the word portable. They have small units on rollers.. Have seen them installed on lazers to remove the smoke and smell at various wood shows.
Well, that one in the picture looks portable under certain circumstances. I've heard that there are C-5's in the Army (Air Force) Surplus world...

Also, the manufacturer's idea of portable and mine are sorta different. I like the idea of what they do, but most of the websites had stuff that looks like it is for job-site use for smelly construction type purposes. I keep looking, though.

howsitwork

Do you have a website reference for that?
Brian

now been renamed / branded the Thor dust extractor.

definitely a challenge to find but reports from a colleague on it , for pyrography use were very good.

Top Bottom