Standard International Converters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Where is the best place to buy converters? I am almost out…

Jason
One option is that the suppliers of pen kits typically offer converters - PSI, CSUSA, etc. I know that PSI offers two options - the cheap option is OK, but its all plastic and feels a bit, well, cheap. The more expensive option is very good. No experience with converters from CSUSA.

Another option are businesses who specialize in pens and accessories. Goulet Pen Company is very good to do business with and they offer a wide selection of both proprietary and 'standard international' converters. Vanness and Dromgooles also have good reputations.

Brand name converters (eg, Schmidt) are generally excellent, expensive, and hard to find. Specialty pen shops may carry them. Most standard international converters don't carry brand names, so it's hard to differentiate between them. The things that I would look suggest as indicators of quality include:
  • plastic body and twist knob, but a metal sleeve reinforcing the point where components are assembled. These are relatively easy to find.
  • threaded metal sleeve holding the plunger portion to the barrel so that the converter can be dissassembled for cleaning and lubrication. Relatively hard to find.
  • inclusion of a small metal or plastic ball object (typically a ball, but possibly a spring) inside the barrel that moves to break up the surface tension of the ink so that ink flows freely into the section until the supply is fully depleted. Very hard to find although its possible to retrofit something if the converter can be dissassembled.

Top Bottom