Full Review Stainless Steel Ink™ Poseidon Master Pen Kit®

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vtgaryw

1) Name: Stainless Steel Ink™ Poseidon Master Pen Kit® from WoodPenPro

2) Retails for % 19.95, I bought a few for 10% off early July

3. Description: Rollerball pen, all Stainless Steel. All threads are SS. Non-postable.

4. Assembly instructions – instructions were perfect.

5. Photographs - attached.

6. Objective evaluation - love the look of the pen. Very solid, assembly went perfectly. Great finish.

7. Subjective evaluation - a few issues, relatively minor mostly.

First, I ordered a set of bushings with it, when the shipment arrived, one of the bushings in the kit was incorrect. Didn't want to kludge up a work-around for it, so I contacted the vendor, who was closed for several weeks for "inventory." Finally got the correct bushings sent to me, by now it was a month after I had ordered the kits.

Like I said, I really l like the look and feel of the pen. However, the threads are a bit too coarse. Definitely a coarser thread than say the Eagle from Lazerlinez. There's a little "grating" when you thread and unthread it. I can't be positive, but the internal thread looks a little rougher than the external thread. I'll verify this issue when I make the next one.

Another minor nit, but if you look in the 3rd picture, you'll see the the lip the arrow is pointing to. This "snags" on the cap when you're taking the cap off. Minor, but annoying.

Finally, even though the instructions reference a Schmidt refill, there were no refills included when I got the pens. Not sure if this was an oversight, I sent an e-mail but never heard back.

8. Bottom line - the $ 18 I paid wasn't a bad price, especially when you compare it to a 10K Gold Jr. Gentlemen II kit or something similar. I'll give an update on the thread issue when I break out another kit in the next week or so. It's a nice looking, solid pen, I think it should sell well.

-gary

Attachments

• Poseidon SS 1.jpg
    Poseidon SS 1.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 940
  • Poseidon SS 2.jpg
    Poseidon SS 2.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 1,133
  • Poseidon SS 3a copy.jpg
    Poseidon SS 3a copy.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 853
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NittanyLion

Thanks for the review Gary. I've been wondering about these kits. Is 100% of this kit stainless? There appears to be chrome on the center band and finial....or is this polished chrome? Is the finial a seperate piece so that you could remove it and use a custom finial?

SteveG

I appreciate the review...I have a few of these comp-sets, and This review has prompted me to go turn one (as soon as I finish this post). Your selection of wood, which works great for this pen, your finish, and your fine photography contribute nicely to the review. I will follow with my observations on the thread issue. Thanks!

SteveG

As promised, I went to turn one of these. Not the best details to report. I have two kits, and had to combine them to get a full set to make a pen.

Problems noted: the RB front end is made up from three parts, and the threads to join these were so bad, I could pull them right apart. Also, the small chrome tip end on the other kit was severely rough right at the end where the refill emerges. So that is "0 for 2". Now Jimmy is great to work with, and I am sure replacements will be provided, but until you have inspected each part of the kit, I would not necessarily count on everything being good. So in my 2-kit snapshot, I will declare it to be indicative of poor quality control.

On the plus side: the main cap threads are good. Also, from a design flexibility perspective, the center band rings slide right off, so you can easily replace a matching CB ring instead of the supplied hardware. I really like the look of the kit overall, but might consider swapping different clips as mentioned in the other thread currently running that is discussing this kit.

TDahl

The vendor's website say it has a link to assembly instructions PDF, but the link does not work. For those who are interested, I was able to get a PDF copy of the instructions from the vendor and attached them to this post.

Attachments

• instructions_poseidon-pen-kits[22294].pdf
    266.3 KB · Views: 205
Top Bottom