STABILIZING TRAIN STATION WOOD

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BILL W

I have some old train station wood about 100 years old, There's no cracks in the wood just termites or worm damage, Would
I need to stabilize the wood before I put it in the pressure pot with resin, The wood is hard as a rock so I don't think I need
to stabilize the wood but I would like to full the holes with something, I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated,
I have uploaded some pictures so the wood can be seen

Attachments

• PIC_3691.JPG
    PIC_3691.JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 117
  • PIC_3692.JPG
    PIC_3692.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 117
  • PIC_3693.JPG
    PIC_3693.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 120
  • PIC_3695.JPG
    PIC_3695.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 121
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BILL W

So you think resin will get in to the holes with the pressure pot.
And thanks for the help.
BILL

Fine Engineer

So you think resin will get in to the holes with the pressure pot.
And thanks for the help.
BILL
If you go with the vacuum / pressure process, the resin should fill in all the voids. The vacuum gets rid of most of the air, then the pressure makes whatever is left so small as to be insignificant.

Jeff

PatrickR

I have some old train station wood about 100 years old, There's no cracks in the wood just termites or worm damage, Would
I need to stabilize the wood before I put it in the pressure pot with resin, The wood is hard as a rock so I don't think I need
to stabilize the wood but I would like to full the holes with something, I'm new to this so any help would be appreciated,
I have uploaded some pictures so the wood can be seen
In short yes.
There are three main reasons to stabilize.
1 - make punky, rotten wood turnable
2 - bring the wood closer to a 1-1 expansion ratio
3 - dye / color the wood
in your case #2 is the reason. Resin is at 1-1, your wood is far from that. Increasing the possibility of separation down the road.
also some wood when immersed in liquid will start to release the air held in it as bubbles. These may be stopped without consequence with pressure but not always. I have had blanks ruined by it.

Top Bottom