stabilizing oak experiment (long)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

Was turning out a couple dozen of these last week for SWMBA,

20071130171123_shrooms.jpg

Ran out of the cherry scrap I was using for tops, and dug an old punky looking oak scrap out of the junk corner. Lo and behold, some pretty nice spalting emerged. So, of course I cut the rest into blanks, but they were pretty soft and had some frass filled worm voids. I took this as a sign from somebody that I needed to go dig my old vac/pressure vessel out of the loft of my shop.

20071130172237_chamber.jpg

My brother had welded this up for me years ago when I was seriously into making knives and I tried my hand at stabilizing some handle slabs. I had a little success, was able to pretty consistently penetrate to the center of 1x1.5x5 knife blanks, but was never really happy with the hardening I was getting out of several different mediums. I tried sanding sealer, a couple types of polyurethane, both straight and cut 50% with thinner, and a fairly expensive CAB Acrylic floor finish from sherwin williams.

Anyway, back to these blanks.

20071130172439_blanks.jpg

I put them in a new paint can with about 3 inches of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane and pulsed the vacuum most of a day. It takes about an hour to pull a max vac with the little vac pump I have, and have it leak down to ambient. I probably got 4 or 5 pulses over the day, then pressurized to 60psi before I went to bed. The next morning the 2 3/4 squares had sunk, but the 1" round was still floating a little, so it went back in for another round. I'll probably park them under a flood light for a few days and see how hard they get.

What have you folks had the best luck getting penetration AND hardening with? Best way to hold the contents?

I used to just fill the chamber up with wood, put a weight on it, seal it up very carefully, and use a vac gauge to mess with it till i could get it to hold a vac for whatever I felt was a good exposure, then use a stopcock on the bottom of the chamber to suck the liquid up into the chamber without ever releasing the vacuum. then pressurize the container for a few days, then release the liquid back out through the stopcock and open up and dry the contents. Proved messy and hard to clean out the container. Not sure if it ever yielded better results than the current method, but would be interested in comments.

Anyway, Thought I'd throw this out here and see if we can get some stabilization discussions going, as pretty much all this forum has has seen is casting lately.

Thanks
James

leehljp

Member Liaison
I cannot get MEK here so I am stuck with urethane and my own acrylic/acetone mixture. Urethane does better on reddish and brownish woods in my opinion. But I use acrylic/acetone on holly as the urethane tints the holly too much off white.

I tried the acrylic/acetone mix on bloodwood and the mix bleached the bloodwood a little. When finished, the remainder of the acetone/acrylic mix was reddish purple from the bloodwood.

I found some very clear lacquer recently and and thinking of trying it on different woods. Lacquer dries fairly hard and quicker than urethane, so it should work. But that is what experimenting is all about. :)

I mentioned MEK in the opening line, and it has been recommended to me to use MEK and styrofoam. I have melted styrofoam in acetone but it "melts" not dissolves. It ends up in a big glob. I tried styrofoam with mineral spirits and got the same results. So for me now, I will use urethane, acetone/acrylic and try lacquer in the near future.

Top Bottom