stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnDrayton

You guys talk a lot about stabilizing different woods,, using vacumn pumps. Is there a way to stabilize without using vacumn?, what kind of woods, what solutions etc. I have some of the most beautiful western red cedar that I have ever seen but would like to harden it to prevent cracking etc.

Fred

I have used a solution of dissolved clean, white styrofoam using Methyl Ethel Keytone (MEK) and have had reasonable results by just soaking my blanks for several days. I usually drill and pre-turn the blanks round prior to soaking them. This way allows the styrofoam to enter from both sides. I then remove the blanks and re-drill the holes for the tubes if necessary, mount/glue the tubes in place and then turn to finished size. O have yet to lose one of my burls after doing this process. It also works quite well on my punky, spalted bowl blanks. BTW, MEK is very nasty stuff. It is readily absorbed into the skin and the fumes are very bad for you. Use the stuff while wearing gloves, and DO NOT breath the fumes... use more than adequate ventilation or be outside when pouring the MEK. It is available at automotive paint stores from $17 to $26 a gallon. Home Depot charges a small fortune for a quart of the stuff IF they even stock it at your store. :D

Top Bottom