Squaring up your pens ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jvsank

I was wondering what method does everyone uses to square the ends of your pens. I use a barrel trimmer is there a better way then that.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlh

I use a barrel trimmer occassionally. 99% of the time I use a disc sander with a miter gauge. It is much faster and does an adequate job. I haven't had any problems with this method so far.[:)]

Richard

jdavis

We use the barrell trimmer on drill press. We process alot of blanks at one time. We have one student cutting to width, one cutting to length, one drilling, one guling, one squaring ends.

woodguy1975

Originally posted by rlh
<br />
Originally posted by jvsank
<br />I was thinking of trying a disc sander what do use to keep it square
I use the miter gauge that came with my disc sander.[:)]

That only works if your hole is bored perfectly straight through the blank and the blank is somewhat square. If the bore is anyway out of aligment with the center you are going to have problems with eccentricity and and good tight presses. DAMHIKT

Good Luck,

John

rlh

Originally posted by woodguy1975
<br />
Originally posted by rlh
<br />

That only works if your hole is bored perfectly straight through the blank and the blank is somewhat square. If the bore is anyway out of aligment with the center you are going to have problems with eccentricity and and good tight presses. DAMHIKT

Good Luck,

John
Thanks John. I thought about that possibility but (knock on wood) have so far not had any problems.

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by rlh
<br />
Originally posted by woodguy1975
<br />
Originally posted by rlh
<br />

Good Luck,

John
Thanks John. I thought about that possibility but (knock on wood) have so far not had any problems.

..what a quote mess!!
I use often my disc-sander, with the miter gauge that came with it and a squaring jig I made from a squared piece of wood with an "A" and a "B" mandrel piece installed on each side! This is pretty square for me...since the squared piece of wood with the squared mandrel pieces are squared against the squared miter gauge (with I square using a 100% true square)...

opfoto

I use a barrell trimmer with my cordless drill. The corners of the blanks remove all the calluses in my hand too. [:0]

Gary

Here are pics of the jig I use to square pen blanks on my disc sander. I got the idea from the Yahoo Penturners Group. There are more pics of it in the How-to-Section there, in the file labeled "Jigs".

2005425234349_SandingJigViewa.jpg
<br />

2005425234631_SandingJigViewb.jpg
<br />

200542523496_SandingJigViewc.jpg
<br />

rtparso

I tried a jig like Gary’s. One suggestion cut off the threads on the bolt. After getting the jig going good I have switched to a PSI trimmer in a drill press. I tend to cut my blanks long (especially if I am cutting nasty stuff like antler) and if you keep a bright light on the blank while you trim the tube will shine when you touch it.

its_virgil

My method of squaring the ends of blanks: disk sander and a squaring jig....one jig for all pens...made from free scrap....cheaper than buying the pilot for each tube size. I actually find the disk sander faster, easier and just (if not more) as accurate as the penmill.
do a good turn daily!
Don

wayneis

Originally posted by FireMedic4Christ
<br />I've always used a barrel trimmer but would like to try sanding. What do you do about glue in the tube since it is not being cleared by the pilot shaft of the trimmer?

I first use a exacto knife and then run a brass gun cleaning brush through the tubes. The brushes are pretty inexpensive, I have several different sizes.

I have far less trouble with blowing out blanks sense I switched to the disk sander. Some blanks like dymond wood or even some burls will just blow up with the barrell trimmer.

Wayne

Fred in NC

My barrel trimmer uses sandpaper instead of cutting edges. I made it, but a regular barrel trimmer can be adapted if you reverse the cutter, and glue sandpaper to the flat side.

I use the disk sander to get close first, and then finish with my sandpaper barrell trimmer.

its_virgil

Plujg the ends and don't get glue inside the tubes. If so, I run the appropriate size drill bit inside the tube to clear the glue.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by FireMedic4Christ
<br />I've always used a barrel trimmer but would like to try sanding. What do you do about glue in the tube since it is not being cleared by the pilot shaft of the trimmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom