Square blank to collet Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InkyMike

Hey all - question for the collective.

A lot of tutorials I've seen, specifically in section turning, start with using a round blank in a collet chuck. Thanks to the generosity of some folks here, I have a good number of square blanks to practice with. I'm curious how many of you turn down your square blanks to round, and then use a collet chuck - and for those that do - if you have any tips on how to get the rounded portion as true as possible to use in the chuck - on a wood lathe (I have a Taig micro lathe but I'm trying to go end to end on the wood lathe.)

Thanks!
Michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

I don't turn them round or use a collet chuck for pens, so not much help there, but I can tell you if you put a piece of wood between centers and turn it round, it will find it's own center. Not sure if that's what you're asking though.

Valleyboy

I use a metal lathe and I use collets. My approach (which depends on the size of the bore in your headstock) is to remove the collet and nut and then wedge one end of the square blank into the bore. I bring up the live centre on the other end and then turn down around 5mm to the correct diameter. Then put the collect back on and flip the blank over with the rounded end in the collet and you can then round the rest of the blank.
Cheers
Ash

InkyMike

I use a metal lathe and I use collets. My approach (which depends on the size of the bore in your headstock) is to remove the collet and nut and then wedge one end of the square blank into the bore. I bring up the live centre on the other end and then turn down around 5mm to the correct diameter. Then put the collect back on and flip the blank over with the rounded end in the collet and you can then round the rest of the blank.
Cheers
Ash
This is where I was thinking I was going to have to head to be the most accurate. My fear was that even using a square carbide bit it might be difficult to get the exact same diameter the length of the tenon to put in the collet.

its_virgil

You mentioned sections which makes me think you are making non-kit fountain pens. For me, I turn square blanks round between centers. Then hold the blank in a collet chuck to so the drilling and taping. I then transfer the parts to a mandrel which I also hold in the collet chuck. BTW, the entire blank does not have to be turned round. Just a couple of inches turned round for the collet chuck. The rest of the blank can be rounded on the mandrel.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

InkyMike

You mentioned sections which makes me think you are making non-kit fountain pens. For me, I turn square blanks round between centers. Then hold the blank in a collet chuck to so the drilling and taping. I then transfer the parts to a mandrel which I also hold in the collet chuck. BTW, the entire blank does not have to be turned round. Just a couple of inches turned round for the collet chuck. The rest of the blank can be rounded on the mandrel.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Well, I'm exploring non kit pens - I just wasn't sure if I could get accurate enough turning a tenon for the collet chuck between centers - I suppose like anything else it just takes practice with a gouge and a caliper. 🙂

Valleyboy

This is where I was thinking I was going to have to head to be the most accurate. My fear was that even using a square carbide bit it might be difficult to get the exact same diameter the length of the tenon to put in the collet.
So metric collets give you a 1mm diameter margin of error (which is quite a lot) the nice thing about this approach on a metal lathe is you turn the tenon down to, say 18.5mm to fit in a 19-18mm collet then zero your cross slide dial and when you flip it you just turn down until you reach zero again knowing you've now got a rod that will fit the same collet.
Does that answer your question?

InkyMike

So metric collets give you a 1mm diameter margin of error (which is quite a lot) the nice thing about this approach on a metal lathe is you turn the tenon down to, say 18.5mm to fit in a 19-18mm collet then zero your cross slide dial and when you flip it you just turn down until you reach zero again knowing you've now got a rod that will fit the same collet.
Does that answer your question?
Yeah - makes perfect sense. I have standard sized collets but a metric set on the way. I can't zero the slide on the Taig but I can count the rotations and use the indicator marks.

monophoto

Hey all - question for the collective.

A lot of tutorials I've seen, specifically in section turning, start with using a round blank in a collet chuck. Thanks to the generosity of some folks here, I have a good number of square blanks to practice with. I'm curious how many of you turn down your square blanks to round, and then use a collet chuck - and for those that do - if you have any tips on how to get the rounded portion as true as possible to use in the chuck - on a wood lathe (I have a Taig micro lathe but I'm trying to go end to end on the wood lathe.)

Thanks!
Michael
Collet chucks are intended to hold tenons; there is no way to mount a square blank in a collet chuck without first making the blank round.

The best way to make a square or rectangular blank round is to mount it between centers. Since collet chucks don't have a large expansion range, sizing the tenon is critical. I don't have any specific size that I use regularly, so I use calipers. But if you are converting square to round on a regular basis, you could always make a go/no-go gauge. Start with a thin scrap of timber - plywood or mdf would be fine. Drill a hole the size of the desired tenon (a forstner bit would be the best tool for this), and then cut through the board exactly through the center of that hole. Then, as you are turning the tenon, you can use the gauge to know when you are approaching the target diameter. In my experience, a skew is the best tool for fine-tuning the tenon diameter, but it is also possible to get close, and then use coarse sandpaper to finish-size the tenon.

InkyMike

Collet chucks are intended to hold tenons; there is no way to mount a square blank in a collet chuck without first making the blank round.

The best way to make a square or rectangular blank round is to mount it between centers. Since collet chucks don't have a large expansion range, sizing the tenon is critical. I don't have any specific size that I use regularly, so I use calipers. But if you are converting square to round on a regular basis, you could always make a go/no-go gauge. Start with a thin scrap of timber - plywood or mdf would be fine. Drill a hole the size of the desired tenon (a forstner bit would be the best tool for this), and then cut through the board exactly through the center of that hole. Then, as you are turning the tenon, you can use the gauge to know when you are approaching the target diameter. In my experience, a skew is the best tool for fine-tuning the tenon diameter, but it is also possible to get close, and then use coarse sandpaper to finish-size the tenon.
Right - which is why I was asking about the rounding. My only concern was ensuring the tenon isn't tapered. I like the go/no go. Could also use the wrench for that, too.

Also - as an FYI for the collective, Turners Warehouse has a tenon cutter that you mount in the tailstock. I was just wanting to do it w/o an additional tool.

InkyMike

I avoid turning the square blank round BEFORE drilling. Someone here on IAP recommended that it's best to leave as much material on the blank while drilling to give it more strength & support.
Makes sense. I think most of the videos I've watched, they started with round blanks to begin with.

jttheclockman

I mainly leave blanks square. When I need to I round over between centers. You really should get to know your tools and turning a blank round just by looks should become second nature. I use the open end wrench trick but never sharpened to actually make it a tool Pretty nice idea, I use the, as a gauge more or less.

anthonyd

I use a step centre and a live centre to turn the entire square blank end to end. Exactly as the video on the attached link. Then I use a collet chuck on the barrel, cap and section.

rixstix

Cheers
Ash
WOW, what a novel idea @Valleyboy . I did that this afternoon. What a timesaver & much smoother operation than my dead center/live center arrangement.

THANK YOU.

I have er32 collets in 32" increment through 3/4" but metric would be a brain saver.

InkyMike

I mainly leave blanks square. When I need to I round over between centers. You really should get to know your tools and turning a blank round just by looks should become second nature. I use the open end wrench trick but never sharpened to actually make it a tool Pretty nice idea, I use the, as a gauge more or less.
I can turn it round no problem - turning it round the same identical diameter without tapering it was my concern. :)

jttheclockman

I can turn it round no problem - turning it round the same identical diameter without tapering it was my concern. :)
I hear you and that is why I say with some practice you can turn equal dimension all the way. The key is the angle you look at the blank. Your eye should be able to pick up a straight line as it spins. My little cheat is to zero in both ends to exact same diameter and then even the center out. When I get close I stick a straight edge across the blank and can tell high spots. But whatever works to get the job done is fine. Happy turning.

dogcatcher

You do not have to turn the whole blank, just turn a tenon on one end to fit the collet.

During my "thinking time" I grab some blanks and turn then round. With wood blanks doing this I get a better idea of what they will look like in a pen. The grain, burns, etc. can have a different look in the round than they do square.

It is also a stress reliever, both for the wood and the woodturner' mind. Pool cue makers do a lot of small cuts over days to allow the wood stress to slowly adjust to the removal of wood. Is it necessary for pens? Not really but it gives the turner time to clear his/her own stressors.

InkyMike

You do not have to turn the whole blank, just turn a tenon on one end to fit the collet.

During my "thinking time" I grab some blanks and turn then round. With wood blanks doing this I get a better idea of what they will look like in a pen. The grain, burns, etc. can have a different look in the round than they do square.

It is also a stress reliever, both for the wood and the woodturner' mind. Pool cue makers do a lot of small cuts over days to allow the wood stress to slowly adjust to the removal of wood. Is it necessary for pens? Not really but it gives the turner time to clear his/her own stressors.
This is probably what I'm going to start doing - I have a ton of blanks to play with.

Valleyboy

My pleasure Rick.

If you run off collets on a metal lathe then this is a game changer in terms of time saving and efficiency.

I do them in batches because once you're dialled in for the first one it's just a case of rinse and repeat. I've also found that it happens to work for the majority of blank sizes.

Cheers
Ash

InkyMike

My pleasure Rick.

If you run off collets on a metal lathe then this is a game changer in terms of time saving and efficiency.

I do them in batches because once you're dialled in for the first one it's just a case of rinse and repeat. I've also found that it happens to work for the majority of blank sizes.

Cheers
Ash
Luckily my collet system fits both my wood lathe and my metal micro lathe. I'm just not nearly as efficient on the micro lathe yet. I'm still working through all my initial design and process ideas. I'm sure it will take several iterations.

Valleyboy

Luckily my collet system fits both my wood lathe and my metal micro lathe. I'm just not nearly as efficient on the micro lathe yet. I'm still working through all my initial design and process ideas. I'm sure it will take several iterations.
That's handy. The thing about the collet system on my metal lathe is that the face plate has to be bolted on with 4 bolts. To remove it is quite awkward and it's very time consuming to change it over for, say, a 3 jaw chuck that can hold a square blank. Hence this approach.

darrin1200

This is why most Kitless makers either have a metal lathe or want to move to one.
While I've made many kitless pens on my woodlathe, the accuracy needed takes more time on wood lathe. Also, depending on your model, the wood lathe is not concentric enough for some of the detailed work you will get into.

InkyMike

That's handy. The thing about the collet system on my metal lathe is that the face plate has to be bolted on with 4 bolts. To remove it is quite awkward and it's very time consuming to change it over for, say, a 3 jaw chuck that can hold a square blank. Hence this approach.
Yeah - I have the PSI set and an adaptor that fits the Shopfox and the Taig. It's quick to swap it between the two if needed.

Curly

My metal lathe is large enough to have a D1-5 headstock which means it is quick to change chucks. The collet chuck I bought for it is a 5C type that can use collets made for round, hexagonal or square collets as needed. The down side to them is they need to be very square in order to fit right, a condition most banks don't come in. Therefore I use a self centring 4 jaw chuck to hold the very end of the square stock and the tailstock to turn round. Then switch over to the collet chuck. It wouldn't be all that hard to skip the chucks altogether and turn the blanks round between centres, then switch to the collet chuck. A centre made for the collet chuck would take care of that.
One just has to find a way to get where they want to go with what is available.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Ran across this thread and it made me think about 3d printing one. I had actually drawn this Er32 collet years ago but never printed it. I have 3d resin printers but the cost of resin for them was too expensive to bother to play around at the time. I just picked up another resin printer that is Chinese made and the resin is only $20 a bottle instead of $350 for a liter of resin. I'm not sure how strong it is for actual work but it should be ok for normal use and light cuts. This one is .700 square. 3/4 square would take the corners out to the edge of the collet. I can easily make then in smaller dimensions. 5/8,1/2, 1/4 etc. Think I'll play with it just cause I can.

Attachments

• 20230127_095508.jpg
    20230127_095508.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230127_095515.jpg
    20230127_095515.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 81

InkyMike

This is why most Kitless makers either have a metal lathe or want to move to one.
While I've made many kitless pens on my woodlathe, the accuracy needed takes more time on wood lathe. Also, depending on your model, the wood lathe is not concentric enough for some of the detailed work you will get into.
I bought my Taig years ago with just that thought in mind. But life got in the way and I haven't become even close to proficient on it yet.
Ran across this thread and it made me think about 3d printing one. I had actually drawn this Er32 collet years ago but never printed it. I have 3d resin printers but the cost of resin for them was too expensive to bother to play around at the time. I just picked up another resin printer that is Chinese made and the resin is only $20 a bottle instead of $350 for a liter of resin. I'm not sure how strong it is for actual work but it should be ok for normal use and light cuts. This one is .700 square. 3/4 square would take the corners out to the edge of the collet. I can easily make then in smaller dimensions. 5/8,1/2, 1/4 etc. Think I'll play with it just cause I can.
That's a very cool idea!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You do know they make a 4 jaw scroll chuck for the Taig. I use them on a steel mandril mounted in my 6
inch 3 jaw to round square stock. Its one of the other reasons I never pursued the square collets. The 4 jaw is faster to mount and adjust to what ever size im working with.

rsieracki

My metal lathe is large enough to have a D1-5 headstock which means it is quick to change chucks. The collet chuck I bought for it is a 5C type that can use collets made for round, hexagonal or square collets as needed. The down side to them is they need to be very square in order to fit right, a condition most banks don't come in. Therefore I use a self centring 4 jaw chuck to hold the very end of the square stock and the tailstock to turn round. Then switch over to the collet chuck. It wouldn't be all that hard to skip the chucks altogether and turn the blanks round between centres, then switch to the collet chuck. A centre made for the collet chuck would take care of that.
One just has to find a way to get where they want to go with what is available.
Tell me more about this scrolling 4 jaw... I have a Precision Matthews with a D1-4, and a South Bend heavy 10 lathe... and of course a 'few' wood lathes. I've been looking for a 4 jaw that scrolls for the same purpose of going square to 3/4 or so round and keep comming up empty

Curly

I bought the 4 jaw scroll chuck from Grizzly and as it is a plane back, a D1-5 backing plate that I had to machine to fit.

Other companies sell similar if you poke around.

Penultimate

Tell me more about this scrolling 4 jaw... I have a Precision Matthews with a D1-4, and a South Bend heavy 10 lathe... and of course a 'few' wood lathes. I've been looking for a 4 jaw that scrolls for the same purpose of going square to 3/4 or so round and keep comming up empty
Hi
You should be able to mount 5C collets on your SB 10.

Top Bottom