Special Sale for the Birthday Bash!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

In honor of the IAP's Birthday Bash, Alumilite has offered to have a special sale just for members. Orders place with them January 1st through the 7th will receive free shipping! This is a big savings! Let them know that you are an IAP member when you order.

Alumilite Corp. world@alumilite.com 1-800-447-9344 (Carol)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
That's cool. Do you know if their UK agent is offering the same or is shipping to UK also included?

Alumilite

Hello all,

We'd like to extend our Birthday Bash offer of free shipping (inside the US) to the 14th of this month. If purchasing from our website, simply put in the Coupon Code "Penturner" and it will automatically negate any shipping cost as you procede to check out.

Due to taxes and duties of international shipments, our website is not set up to process international shipping fees. Therefore, if you are located outside of the US, please call us and although we may not be able to offer you free shipping we promise to work with you to help as much as possible to reduce the cost of receiving the products.

If you call in your order, please reference "Penturner" during the conversation with your customer service representative to receive the free shipping offer through the 14th.

And as always, if you ever have resin questions, please feel free to give us a call.

Sincerely,
Mike Faupel
Alumilite
800 447-9344

Scott

Thank you Mike! I knew I wasn't getting it all right when I posted it, but I didn't want to wait any longer to get this posted! We really appreciate this special sale for us penturners! You guys are super!

Scott.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
THANK YOU MIKE, got my order in yesterday :) you at Alumilite were more than helpful in getting me started on all that I needed to accomplish my project, and I appreciate that very much..!!

And thank you also Curtis for all that you did to get this started..!

toolcrazy

Alumilite Water Clear - Is this what is recommended for pen Casting. I would like to try it out. 32oz is very reasonable to tryouts. :)

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Yes, you most likely want the water clear unless you want a solid color. Using RC3 or Alumilite regular will yeild an almond colored finished product without adding any dye. If you want a solid color or swirl then you could use the RC3 or Alumilite regular and add dye to get the color you want. I use them all but use 10:1 clear vs the others. Alumilite water clear would be the most comparable to PR that many use as far as color (or lack thereof!)

SteveCzar

MesquiteMan, whats the best dye to use to get a solid color in the water clear, or is it bette to use the RC3 for the more solid colors.Have you tryed the Alumilite white. I have only used the water clear so i have no clue as to how the other stuff works, does the other stuff turn as well as the water clear.

Thanks
Steve

toolcrazy

Originally posted by MesquiteMan

Yes, you most likely want the water clear unless you want a solid color. Using RC3 or Alumilite regular will yeild an almond colored finished product without adding any dye. If you want a solid color or swirl then you could use the RC3 or Alumilite regular and add dye to get the color you want. I use them all but use 10:1 clear vs the others. Alumilite water clear would be the most comparable to PR that many use as far as color (or lack thereof!)

Thanks for the info, I will try the water clear, since I can get in 32oz cans. I can't afford much more than that.

rhahnfl

Anybody having trouble ordering online? I can't get my order to go past the redeem "Penturner" coupon point. Tried several times and it just kept coming back to the credit card page. Guess I'll call it in on Monday. Not a big deal.

toolcrazy

I had no problem ordering online, went right through. But I do hate the website, I wish it wasn't black.

Question for the Alumilite pros; What does open time mean? I have an idea, but I need to make sure. Thx

rhahnfl

I gave it another try this morning and it went through. Maybe they were doing some server work ie. backup etc. last night. Can't wait to try this out. Got some powered metal colorant also. Their site shows to brush it on the mold itself but if you're doing "worthless wood" I'm sure you mix it in. Anyone want to share how much and if you need to offset the weight of the mix? I assume you'd put it in the part A and mix it up before you hit it with the catalyst/part B. Just want to get an idea of how much and the best way to proceed with it. Thanks!!

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I have used every casting resin that Alumilite sells as well as all of their dyes and metal powders. Here is the difference between all of their resins as far as our use is concerned.

Alumilite Regular-This is the original Alumilite and is the fastest with the least working time. When cured, this resin is a solid almond color that looks quite a bit like alternate ivory! Being a solid color, this resin does not lend itself at all to using metal powder or pearlex type stuff. The only way you will get swirls is to mix small parts of different colors and swirl them together but that is an entirely different discussion! Regular is a little tricky to get the colors right because while still in the liquid state, the resin is a translucent amber color. When the resin cures it turns solid almond with affects your perfect color you thought you had! It takes some trial and error to get a formula that gives the color you want..

Alumilite Black- This is simply Alumilite Regular that has black dye added. It will make a solid black blank and that is it. If you try to add gold powder, for example, you will not even see the gold.

Alumilite White- This is a slightly different formulation than the Regular and thus has a little more working time. Otherwise, all of the challenges of getting color right also apply here. This resin is actually clear before it cures and then all of a sudden turns white and hard! It also does not work well for metal powders, etc. It is the thinnest resin that Alumilite sells.

Alumilite Water Clear- This is my work horse resin. Ninety percent of my casting is done with Water Clear and is the direct replacement for PR. It has the most working time of any Alumilite resin.

Alumilite RC3-This is very similar to Alumilite Regular but has more working time. It is the least expensive Alumilite resin and also cures to an almond color so the same challenges apply.

Alumilite RC3 Black-This is simply RC3 that has black dye added. This is my resin of choice when I need a solid black and what I use for my black cactus blanks.

Dyes- I highly recommend the Alumilite dyes. They are made specifically for use with Alumilite and are very concentrated. I use 12 drops of red dye per 18 ounces of resin to get the rich red for my red cactus blanks. I have also used Transtint dye with success but you have to be careful to make sure you don’t add too much or it will affect the cure. Other dyes might work but use them at your own risk!

Alumilite Metal Powders-I use the metal powders to get the metallic swirl for my “Worthless Wood†blanks. It is not made to be used in the resin and so it does not mix very well but that works to our advantage. This creates the great swirls that you see without having to do anything special. Just mix and pour! When I first asked Mike about using the metal powder IN the resin I think he thought I was crazy but it works great!

Using dyes and metal powders with Water Clear- I prefer to mix both parts of the reins and then add my other goodies. Part A of Alumilite has a slight tint to it while part B does not. When you pour the 2 together, it starts out cloudy and when you have it properly mixed, it returns to completely clear. Alumilite recommends that you add the dye to Part A first but then you will not be able to see this effect and will have to guess when you have it mixed properly. I then add the metal powder right before I am ready to pour. It does not take very much metal powder at all. Just a pinch for enough resin for one blank and when I am doing large amounts (18 oz) I probably only use 1/8 of a teaspoon.

rhahnfl

Thanks Curtis!! That is exactly what I was looking for. I've got my molds, got the HF pot... still not put together and I have some alumilite and metallic powder on order. This is going to be fun... I can tell. Just as soon as I get all the post holiday season honey do's done eh? :D

gokartergo

Just got my order in today.. Can't wait to try it out. Just reading the instructions it suggest degassing part "A" and part "B" separately.. Then mix them.. Is this true???

Rmartin

I have a question about the Clear Aluminite.

It says best used with a pressure pot to remove bubbles. I have used a resin from my local Hobby Lobby, no color or other material added to the mix, just a clear pour, and had no problem with bubbles.

Can I expect the same with Clear Aluminite?

gokartergo

Originally posted by Rmartin

I have a question about the Clear Aluminite.

It says best used with a pressure pot to remove bubbles. I have used a resin from my local Hobby Lobby, no color or other material added to the mix, just a clear pour, and had no problem with bubbles.

Can I expect the same with Clear Aluminite?

I have done pr has well and not needing to degass.. But after reading on there website it looks like it needs it.. But I am wondering. There site says to degasss before you mix it.. Should you then degass again after it's mixed..

rhahnfl

Got my Alumilite order today also. I thought you de-gassed under vaccuum and then pressurized it when mixed and cast. Doesn't seem like the working time allows for another round of vaccuum before pressurization. Good question though. I'm sure someone here knows the answer. I'm going to re-read the casting and stabilization forum a bit before I toss good stuff away.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Dan,

No degass but with clear at least, pressure is absolutely required for bubble free casting. Alumilite recommends 35-40 psi. I use 70 since I have the ability and I do not cast with the tube in so I don't have to worry about resin getting in.

Alumilite

Sorry for the slow response to this everyone.

In most cases, we are pouring parts out of the clear into a closed mold. The standard process we use is to mix, degas, pour the degassed resin in our mold, and then pressure it (easily achievable within 5 minutes but obviously no dilly dallying during the process). The reason we recommend both in this instance is that often times there is not enough volume in the gates and sprews to displace all of the air bubbles that get crushed in mold and we end up with a short shot (not completely filled).

However, as Curtis mentioned and as we have shown in one of our How To pages, you don't need to vacuum before pressure casting if you don't want to. You also don't need to vacuum the two individually before mixing them together but these steps do help reduce the amount of air you will pour into your mold that will require you to crush under pressure. In a second How To page we show how we mix, vacuum, and then pressure cast when making an old '56 Ford pick up truck tail light lens.

Links to the two How Tos are as followed:
http://www.alumilite.com/index.php?page=show_info&type=HOWS&id=47
http://www.alumilite.com/index.php?page=show_info&type=HOWS&id=52
(you might have to copy and paste these)

The reason our material needs to be either vacuumed or pressure cast is because of the fast cycle time. The air bubbles simply don't have the time to float to the surface and pop on their own as many extremely slow epoxies systems do that may take overnight to cure. Our material gels at the 5 minute point and the work time or open time is then set at 5 minutes because that is the point in which you must have pressure on it in order for the bubbles to be crushed. Once the material gels, the air bubbles will not be crushed under the air pressure due to the material solidifying and maintaining its shape under the pressure.

Regarding the black website, you will not be looking at that much longer. A new Alumilite site should be up within a few weeks. Will let you know when it is up and for the record it is a white background.

And yes, you can add the metallic powders directly into the resin as Curtis mentioned. When we cast, we want the concentration on the outside of the part because we typically don't machine it once we remove it from the mold. Therefore we brush it on the mold and do not fill it. The resin flows into the coated mold, picks up the powder and you remove a perfectly looking metallic piece. However if using it in the clear, add it to the resin, pour, then pressure cast it to achieve dynamic effects in your blanks.

Hope this info helps.
Mike
Alumilite
800 447-9344

Top Bottom