Spalted Tamarind Mini--What happened to this wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Tom McMillan

Tom McMillan

I made a miniature vase of spalted Tamarind Wood shown below. I almost didn't complete it due to the dark areas in the wood, but I kind of like the natural wood and sometimes surprising enhancements. In the first photo I don't know how to explain the dark areas near the bottom (in the 2nd photo the dark streaks) in the wood?? Perhaps it's charred, or bark inclusion? Also, some of the wood had bug holes, so don't know if that could cause this?

Can anyone help me to explain the dark areas??

20082114810_custminis0145%20003.jpg

2008211491_custminis0145%20004.jpg

Thanks!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Tom,

Some people who does induce "spalting" use woods with tannins and can stain like that. I've had some wood stain in different colors like black, greenish black, brown, purple, etc.

BTW, what minimum size do you use? Your turnings are very nice and I have been throwing nice pieces that might be of use to you.

fiferb

I'm thinking the piece of wood may have been near a knot and is naturally colored this way. Sometimes I find these dark streaks hidden a couple of inches inside the tree where an obvious knot may have been closer to the bark. Does that make sense?

Tom McMillan

Thanks guys!! I'll be listing it on EBAY, and like to give reasons if I can---I think it just kind of enhances the piece, and makes it a little more of a one of a kind.

Oh, Dario, I usually use a piece at least 1 1/2" in length. I can do a little shorter and for really nice remnants of wood I sometimes glue them to a waste block if they're less than an inch or so.

UKpenmaker

Very nice work Tom, yet again[:p]:D
I think that the marks could have been caused by soem form of inclusion be it bark or near a knot hole. Bark inclusions can go a long way into some woods, i have come across some 12-15in inside the trunk.
I don't think it is any form of natural (water) staining, it looks a bit to strong for that, but i could be wrong.

As already siad no matter what it is, it sure makes a stunning vase.

Kalai

Hi Tom, there are 2 different typs of bug that like to get the Tamarind and when the eat the wood they will leave the waste product directly behind them and this looks like what it is to me, aloha.

Kalai:)

VisExp

Originally posted by Kalai

Hi Tom, there are 2 different typs of bug that like to get the Tamarind and when the eat the wood they will leave the waste product directly behind them and this looks like what it is to me, aloha.

Kalai:)

LOL. There's a great advertisment. A miniature "bug poop" vase!

Jokes aside, that's a very special vase!

Top Bottom