Spalted Sycamore

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

Here is a pen I finished up this weekend. It was difficult to turn; I kept getting tear-out. I spent nearly as much time sharpening as I did turning. I thought it was interesting in that it had so much spalting, and it finished up like black & white ebony.

200531731440_SpaltedSycamore.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

That is a very handsome piece Gary, your right about looking like b/w ebony. I'm sure that won't last past the next trip to the vet [:D]

wayneis

Nice job Gary, thats one very attractive pen. I have experenced more problems with highly spalted woods like sycamore and tamarind even when it was stabilized. I believe it is because of the difference in the hardness of the wood from spot to spot in the blank.

Wayne

Gary

Thanks Wayne...that was certainly my experience with this pen. And, it was stabilized.

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Nice job Gary, thats one very attractive pen. I have experenced more problems with highly spalted woods like sycamore and tamarind even when it was stabilized. I believe it is because of the difference in the hardness of the wood from spot to spot in the blank.

Wayne

Gary

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Graet pen----did you finish this one with CA??

I never use CA as a finish. Almost all of my pens are finished with lacquer, as was this one. If I'm in a real hurry, I will sometimes use Behlen's Woodturner's Finish, but 99% of the time I use lacquer. Thanks for looking.

Gary

Originally posted by Skordog
<br />Beautiful pen!! And a very nice job photographing it too. What kind of setup do you have?

Nothing special, Jeff. Just a digital camera on a tripod...an overhead light and a side light. I don't use a light tent. Thanks for the compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom