Spalted Maple Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rlharding

rlharding

This is in the first stages of a large maple bowl I am working on. It's roughly 14x7x12.

spaltedmapsavedsideview.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

Thanks guys, it is a nice piece. I am hoping I don't have a blow out at the end! The lathe is my pride and joy at the moment....and for many more moments to come. Going from a $325 lathe to the high end .....priceless.

rhahnfl

That is one big bowl. Wish I had a lathe that could handle a job like that. I agree... might as well get as many out of a piece of wood as possible. Good luck and be sure to post pics when it's complete.

rlharding

I will be sure to post finished pics.

UKpenmaker:
I use a woodcut bowl saver. The price is ridiculous and comes in over $300 in Canada.

The day I went to look at the various sanders I watched a guy bend two McNaughton cutters so I didn't eve consider that one. I know that Mike Mahoney, a production bowl turner, uses the McNaughton and also has a CD where he shows how to use it.

The wood cut is OK, since I haven't used any other I don't have anything to compare it too, it works for me.

It's bulky! you can't just put it away in a too holder.

UKpenmaker

Originally posted by rlharding

I will be sure to post finished pics.

UKpenmaker:
I use a woodcut bowl saver. The price is ridiculous and comes in over $300 in Canada.

The day I went to look at the various sanders I watched a guy bend two McNaughton cutters so I didn't eve consider that one. I know that Mike Mahoney, a production bowl turner, uses the McNaughton and also has a CD where he shows how to use it.

The wood cut is OK, since I haven't used any other I don't have anything to compare it too, it works for me.

It's bulky! you can't just put it away in a too holder.

Thanks for the info Ruth, i was think of the McNaughton ones. You seem to be able to take out shallow cuts with them. I guess i will do a little more research first.

rlharding

You can also take out shallow cuts with the woodsaver. I think the difference is that the McNaughton has two SETS of cutters, each with several sizes. The WC only has two cutters, a small and a large version of the same style. The McNaughton has several different shapes and sizes in each set.

Top Bottom