SOURCE FOR EQUIPMENT FOR MAKING YOUR OWN BLANKS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ric

I have been "toying" with the idea of making my own acrylic blanks. I fumbled around with a kit I bought off a supposed "friend" & had a major disaster trying to make polyester blanks. The off gassing was so bad that my wife & I had to vacate the premises for several hours.
A member here at IAP suggested I go to U Tube & check out "Aluminite" blanks, which I did. I watched several videos, paying close attention to the obnoxious odours I may be creating & from what I discovered it is most likely a viable concept for me to try.
The start up costs for this venture are quite large, with the purchase of an air compressor, a pressure pot, gauges, air lines, plus the chemicals which are not anywhere near as inexpensive as those needed for polyester. So...is there a source where a person can obtain all the articles that are required for the process without breaking the bank, just in case this experiment turns out to be unsuccessful?
I can most likely obtain a small 20 gallon 20% duty cycle compressor for quite reasonable, if that is enough to do the job. I take the use of a regulator would be beneficial in this operation as well. I know that I shall have to do quite a bit more research into this venture before I open my wallet, but any help, advice, that you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated...Thanks again... Ric
"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Most compressors I've seen have 2 gauges on them. 1 for the tank pressure, and one for the regulated pressure coming from the tank which you can set. Be sure and use a pressure relief valve on the pressure pot.

I think there's an article in our library on setting up a pressure pot.

Polyester resin should be used in a well ventilated area. I do it in my garage, but it still gets into the house for several hours after I cast. Not bad, but you can smell it.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I use the Porta Cable pancake compressor. You dont need a lot of volume of air for the pressure pot. You can use the regulator on the compressor or you can add a regulator to the pressure pot if the compressor is set up for other uses.
THere is no cheap alternatives other than craigslist or Ebay for used Pressure pots. If your patient you can get a deal. a lot of people buy them from Harbor Freight on sale or with a coupon to lesson the costs. I would not recomend them but lots of members use them.
Alumilite is expensive no getting around it and you will probably want to make or buy silicone molds. It likes to stick to pvc unlike Poly Resins.
If you want to make your own silicone molds Mold Max by Smooth-on is probably the most used source. If you want to make blocks of resin and cut them up into blank sizes than using a plastic cutting board to make boxes to pour in is cheaper but wastes resin over round molds.

I see now your In Canada. You may have less access to supplies than us. We have quite a few Canadian members that may have better sources for you. I believe Lorbay or Curly would have information you could use. You might contact them via PM and ask for their advice

Last edited:

Ric

Thanks Bob, both my wife & I have respiratory concerns, so the poly is out...maybe the aluminite is a viable option. We shall see..Thanks again...Ric
"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS!"

Ric

thank you very much for all the info..There is a lot & I will endeavour to take to heart every point you have mentioned..Thanks again I shall try & contact those names you have mentioned & perhaps "pick their brains" for more info.
Thanx ...Ric.
"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS!"

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
In February during the IAP Birthday Bash ALumilite not only donates kits of Alumilite they also offer 10% discounts on their products when you order from the website. You may wish to plan around it. Alumilite has no odors compared to the poly resins.

HamTurns

Hi Ric - I cast only Alumilite, and have always done so in my basement with no bad smells at all.

I do have a compressor, but it's outside in the garage, so I use a 7 gallon air tank for my casting needs. I get two castings worth of compressed air from it. You don't need to keep an air compressor hooked up to it, you just need a pressure pot that doesn't leak.

I got my used BINKS pressure pot from a cabinet shop for cheap, I found it on Craigs List.

Happy Turning - Tom

low_48

If you do some research on here about beginner problems with casting, you'll quickly discover you'll burn through a fair amount of product during the learning curve. Add the costs of all the equipment, and buying premade blanks have always been a good value to me. Just because Alumilite doesn't smell as bad, it doesn't mean it's healthy to breath.

Curly

Mark James made a cabinet, I think from a sandblasting cabinet, so he could mix and pour, while containing and venting outside, the fumes from casting. Are you working inside the house, as in the basement? Cheapest place for a new import pressure pot in your area is Princess Auto in Langley. It is pretty much the same as the ones sold across the line by Harbor Freight that IAP members use. Lots of information on how to modify them for casting.

dogcatcher

If you have respiratory problems, read the Material Safety Data Sheets before you buy any of the resins, including Alumilite. Just because you cannot smell it, does not make the vapors safe. They are chemicals, regardless of the lack of smell they emit vapors, the vapors can kill you.

efrulla

One hint that I wished I had when I started casting with Alumilite is to by SMALL quantities at first. I bought gallon jugs of the stuff and the clear went bad before I could use it all. By quarts while you are learning and then when you are in production buy the larger volumes. Also, if it does not work out for you then you won't have as much invested in materials that you may never use.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
How did it go bad, Ed? I have had Alumilite Clear sitting in the bottles that have been opened for over a year and it has not gone bad. If the B side got thick on you, that is normal and is easily rectified by placing it in a pot of hot water until it thins back out.

Ric

Thanks again Pete. You sure are an excellent source for these subjects. My suspicions were confirmed by your last post, declaring that you "are" the force in conjunction with others at "Marla's Fine Turnings" So tell me what medium is used in the making of the Feather Blanks? I assume that the biggest problem would be trying to ensure that all the air bubbles are out of the feathers during the curing process. The pressure pot is essential in this procedure, but I'm sure it's still a bit tricky & the learning curve is quite steep......so much to know. Thanx again Curly...Ric
"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS !"

Top Bottom