Sorry in advance for the shock factor.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Darrin

Darrin

Finished these up for myself tonight.
I don't expect many of you to understand, but thought I'd share.

Attachments

• 1233B094-6E6A-44DA-B353-F94D6CA2CC61.jpeg
    1233B094-6E6A-44DA-B353-F94D6CA2CC61.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 407
  • E2D8AD85-DA6D-4622-B666-5EBA1A6AAFF1.jpeg
    E2D8AD85-DA6D-4622-B666-5EBA1A6AAFF1.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 415
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Not sure how to start a reply. The last thing I want to do is start an argument or hurt anyone's feelings. You correct I don't understand the purpose but I can respect the craftsmanship. You did a nice job and I'll bet their smooth as silk if that your ears that's in the picture!! As in no splinters. Ha Ha. Thanks for sharing and no judgment here. To each his own. I've also found that there are techniques in other crafts and hobbies that are useful in some of the things I do. So it never bothers me to go to section of a store because you never know what you might stumble across. Take Care.

Brandy

I have a few friends who wear these. Nice job! They look great. What is your secret for making them perfectly round and the same size?

I've seen a lot worse and heck, it's your body. I was in the Denver airport one time and saw a lady with a butterfly tattooed on her face, and I mean her whole face. Now that's a shock factor!:eek:

Darrin

I have a few friends who wear these. Nice job! They look great. What is your secret for making them perfectly round and the same size?
Turning them both at the same time I've found makes a huge difference.

Attachments

• 6EBB58CA-61DD-4804-AFE7-B165743DDA28.jpeg
    6EBB58CA-61DD-4804-AFE7-B165743DDA28.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 222

Jarod888

Hi! Great turning! I'm curious what you use as a finish? Or are they left natural?

Especially on this Memorial day, I'm glad a lot of us (most), but I know there are some out there who do not enjoy the freedoms we've been afforded by lives lost in wars' past, that you have the freedom, willingness and ability to do what makes you happy, both in expression and hobby.

Continue to do great turnings; being different is what makes us all similar and we are better for those differences. Without similarity, difference wouldn't be important.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, (or how you express yourself), but I'll defend to death your right to say it (and your freedom of expression). -Modified quote of Voltaire, adapted to, today.-

Darrin

Hi! Great turning! I'm curious what you use as a finish? Or are they left natural?

Especially on this Memorial day, I'm glad a lot of us (most), but I know there are some out there who do not enjoy the freedoms we've been afforded by lives lost in wars' past, that you have the freedom, willingness and ability to do what makes you happy, both in expression and hobby.

Continue to do great turnings; being different is what makes us all similar and we are better for those differences. Without similarity, difference wouldn't be important.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, (or how you express yourself), but I'll defend to death your right to say it (and your freedom of expression). -Modified quote of Voltaire, adapted to, today.-

I use Jojoba oil because it's body safe for this application. I appreciate your kind words.

showcaser

Neat stuff Darrin, Make sure you check out other woods toxicity for allergic reactions.
cocobolo eats me up! BTW admins Love that ignore feature!

Darrin

Neat stuff Darrin, Make sure you check out other woods toxicity for allergic reactions.
cocobolo eats me up! BTW admins Love that ignore feature!

I helped write and document these woods almost a decade ago for a small community called IAM or BME. Anything in the rosewood family is extremely toxic to people. I only use 8 types of wood for these, but I think it's awesome you have done your homework on this man!

WriteON

Nice job. I "wood" not do it but ....nice job. Looks better than open/void. It's definitely creative. However if I did proceed I'd use the nicest piece of ebony or exotic burl I could find.

MRDucks2

Will need to keep these in mind for the younger of my two daughters. If she gives me a size, will it be a measurement or will I need to convert from some other number?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I bet Corian and many Acrylics would be awesome also. I prefer wood for most of my turnings, but for these I bet other materials would work well.

robutacion

OK, OK so, I'm an old fart with a strong belief in people's freedom to do/be what they so desire so, no issues there, however, and with all due respect, I hope that someone helps me to understand the reason for things like these, I mean, I would assume there has to be a reason or there should mean something right...? my ignorance is, what does it mean...???

Why do I ask this question here, you probably won't believe how many folks have contacted me and purchased woods that are suitable to turn these type "things" I even turned some for someone based on measurements provided by him so, I'm not new to this issue but every single time I asked these questions, why only men seem to want these things and what's their meaning...? I have been puzzled and amazed by the fact that not a single one of them manage to answer or wanted to answer so, it created another question and there is, why...?

I apologise for my bluntness on the issue I have been intrigued for years.

Cheers
George

Darrin

OK, OK so, I'm an old fart with a strong belief in people's freedom to do/be what they so desire so, no issues there, however, and with all due respect, I hope that someone helps me to understand the reason for things like these, I mean, I would assume there has to be a reason or there should mean something right...? my ignorance is, what does it mean...???

Why do I ask this question here, you probably won't believe how many folks have contacted me and purchased woods that are suitable to turn these type "things" I even turned some for someone based on measurements provided by him so, I'm not new to this issue but every single time I asked these questions, why only men seem to want these things and what's their meaning...? I have been puzzled and amazed by the fact that not a single one of them manage to answer or wanted to answer so, it created another question and there is, why...?

I apologise for my bluntness on the issue I have been intrigued for years.

Cheers
George
It's honestly really a simple question to answer George.
I did it because I like the way it looks.
No offense taken either, by the way.
I started making these about a decade ago and that led me into penturning.
Now you're all caught up lol.

Top Bottom