Something a little different.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Parrott

Ideas just keep popping into my head. Not sure what to make of this but it was fun to experiment with. After getting my jig dialed in it really only took about 20 minutes to cut and assemble this blank. The pattern goes all the way through so it can be seen from both sides. I think there could be more variations to make it more interesting. Opinions always welcome.
Dale's Pen 10-2020.jpg

I know someone will ask.... 3/4 X 3/4 X 4.25
Make these 4 cuts, fill & glue with veneer, flip blank 180 degrees. Step and repeat.
122974106_10222077175910478_600276458934958450_n.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eharri446

Beautiful pen with that pattern.

That pattern would look neat if you used different colors of veneer in each cut. Is it possible for you to add your jig pattern to the library. I would love to see how it is made and how it works.

magpens

Thanks for showing this, Dale ..... to me it is very interesting and holds potential for further development.

Some cut(s) at 90* might be one of the variations.

I see that you had 2 or 3 orphan pieces that you had to fit in at the time of inserting the veneer. . Was there any trick to re-uniting those pieces ?

I also would like to see a pic of the jig, please.

Dale Parrott

I see that you had 2 or 3 orphan pieces that you had to fit in at the time of inserting the veneer. . Was there any trick to re-uniting those pieces ?

Thanks for showing this, Dale ..... to me it is very interesting and holds potential for further development.

Some cut(s) at 90* might be one of the variations.

I also would like to see a pic of the jig, please.
Not sure what you mean about "orphan pieces" that had to be fit, elaborate? The jig is really basically a bandsaw circle cutter like KenB259 introduced a while back. I'll get a photo yet today.

magpens

Not sure what you mean about "orphan pieces" that had to be fit, elaborate? The jig is really basically a bandsaw circle cutter like KenB259 introduced a while back. I'll get a photo yet today.

By "orphan pieces" I mean pieces that become separated due to cuts on all sides and actually fall out ... they have to be glued back in along with veneer.

(Perhaps I am not fulling understanding what happens ... sorry if that's the case.)

howsitwork

Dale

Inspiring. ! I like that concept, as soon as I finish playing with celtic knots I might give that a go too.

thanks

jttheclockman

My opinion it looks unfinished. If all lines would connect and you can get that diamond pattern all the way around would make it perfect in my eyes. Now this is just another segmenters opinion and it valued at what you paid for it :)

Dale Parrott

By "orphan pieces" I mean pieces that become separated due to cuts on all sides and actually fall out ... they have to be glued back in along with veneer.

(Perhaps I am not fulling understanding what happens ... sorry if that's the case.)
No orphans. I made the 4 cuts you see here and glued in all fill material at once. Once the glue dries you're back to a solid block. Simply flip the block over and make 4 more cuts. The shorter cuts need to be exactly in the centerof the blank. Unless of course you want to experiment.
Here is a picture of my crude setup for cutting the curves. there is T-track uner the pivit up to the blade.
20201027_154837-001.jpg

magpens

Oh ...... I now get it that you did not have any "orphan pieces" !! ... šŸ„µ ... sorry ... my misunderstanding of the sequence of events.

Of course you would do the first gluing operations before proceeding with the second cutting operations (which result in the diamond-shapes).

Thanks for this latest photo. . I'll use it to work out a few more steps in the process. . This photo helps a lot, actually.

Last edited:

Dale Parrott

Oh ...... I now get it that you did not have any "orphan pieces" !! ... šŸ„µ ... sorry ... my misunderstanding of the sequence of events.

Of course you would do the first gluing operations before proceeding with the second cutting operations (which result in the diamond-shapes).

Thanks for this latest photo. . I'll use it to work out a few more steps in the process. . This photo helps a lot, actually.
Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Huw001

Ideas just keep popping into my head. Not sure what to make of this but it was fun to experiment with. After getting my jig dialed in it really only took about 20 minutes to cut and assemble this blank. The pattern goes all the way through so it can be seen from both sides. I think there could be more variations to make it more interesting. Opinions always welcome.
View attachment 289609

I know someone will ask.... 3/4 X 3/4 X 4.25
Make these 4 cuts, fill & glue with veneer, flip blank 180 degrees. Step and repeat.
View attachment 289610
Beautiful, How about doing it on all four sides like a Celtic Knot. I'm going to try it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Stephanie

Beautiful! I love it just like it is. So much talent here. Thanks for showing how you made it. That is always the part that perplexes me.

Don Pechumer

I love this idea and design Dale! I am going to make a jig like this and add it to my one piece pens. Appreciate you sharing this with us. I am newly to IAP and actually saw your pen on Pinterest.

Top Bottom