Some Segmenting Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I searched the library and didn't find the answer though I did find an idea for another design I am considering.

I want to try a segmented brass/aluminum fountain pen. The issues I see are

1. Getting square ends on the segments - I think I can use the same mill that I use for milling ends square to tubes
2. Ensuring segments are all the same length
3. Ensuring segments are spaced equally on the blank. My first attempt I think will be one with a contrasting center band on the lower pen barrel and the cap. This means I need to make sure the tube is centered in the blank and that I mill the same amount from both ends after I glue in the tube

Any tips on alignment of the center bands other than careful measuring? I'll like to make a jig if possible

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
-> 3. I had to figure backwards from the length of the tube to determine the spacing on the pens below. It has been far too long since math/algebra/geometry/calculus to do formulas so I just figure out and make 2 or 3 blanks with different sized segments to figure out which looks better. Even IF you were to used a set formula, it does not guarantee esthetic looking segments.

-> 2. There are quite a few home made TS sleds for cutting segments on this forum. Sleds are needed to get consistent and repeatable cuts. I would personally stay away from miter saws for small parts. It can be done, but sleds are more consistent for most people.
Below is one that some consider dangerous but it works for me and I keep my hands away. While not pictured, I do have hold down clamps. The long center screw allows micro adjustment for measuring cuts. This is how I get my repeatable segments and finely tuned.

Oh, and one other thing - generally I have a larger center segment. I then cut my end segments. Upon dry assembly, if I need to cut more off, I cut off of the larger center part. You are using metal, so it cannot work the way that I do, which is - I do make my segments probably 1/64 or 1/100 inch too long and clamp it on all together. Sometimes it squeezes together under compression to the tube. If it is too long, then sand/mill the ends down to the tube. Must be careful on the sanding down because suddenly the sanded/milled segment is less than others and minutely distorts symmetry.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

The question begs to be asked, have you done any segmenting before?? If so treat the metals as if you do wood or acrylics. You can always buy brass and aluminum washers for consistent thickness I cut metals on both bandsaw with a metal cutting blade and also my tablesaw with a nonferrous cutting blade. I use a sled in both cases. I have shown those many times here. Lay your tube out on a piece of paper and do some sketches of thickness segments. Yes you will need to read a rule. :) The biggest concern if using all metals is the adhesive you plan on using. It will have to be in the epoxy family. I like JB Weld for metal to metal. You can tint it if need be. Good luck.

crokett

After some thought and looking at my lathe I think I have a sequence of operations that should get me what I want. I had also thought about brass and aluminum washers. For the length I have calipers

Top Bottom