Some recent turnings.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodmarc

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodmarc

Here are a couple of recent pens.

Platinum Baron in an acrylic from WoodPenPro.
This is a gift for my Grandmother who says I never make her anything nice. Talk about a guilt trip!! :D
200610112454_HPIM1000A.jpg

The Quad.
1. Sterling Churchill Fountain in CSUSA acrylic
2. Platinum El Grande in CSUSA acrylic
3. Copper Baron Rollerball in Cappucino Acrylic from WoodPenPro
4. TNG Baron in mystery Burl. (first CA Finish)

2006101125011_HPIM1001A.jpg

In the first picture, and on the El Grande, you can see the pen tube. This is my current frustration. (see privious posts)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jerryconn

Excellent work, The first acrylics I did had the tube show through as well, Then I found this site and learned that a little paint on the tube works wonders!!

twoofakind

Try using nail polish, I have been doing that for about the last 6 pens and it seems to work pretty well. Plus you can match the tubes to the color of resin. Try a dollar store or a Wal Mart, I have been paying around .60 for my bottles.
Andy

gerryr

Very nice pens. Not sure about the shape on the mystery wood though. On transluscent synthetics, I think it's largely a waste of time to just paint the tube. I've taken to painting the blank instead because then the paint is between the blank and the glue and will hide the any air bubbles. I use Testor's enamel that I buy in little bottles at a hobby store. There are lots of colors and they're only $1.29 a bottle. When I use white, I use two coats just to be sure.

Your mystery wood looks like some Cherry burl I got bryanjon.

johncrane

Well done Marc l like em all[:D]
also to hide the tubes you can mix liquid coloured Dyes/pigments With 5min 2pack glue' mix it all up.place it in your blank roll it around inside your blank make sure theres a good cover plug your tube end with potato Cover your tube in the mixture and twist it into your blank. wait 1/2 hour and turn
thats what l've been doing' and it works for me.hope this helps.

woodmarc

Thanks for the kind words and tips on the acrylics. The next time I get some time in the shop, I'll definately paint the inside of the blank. I tried painting the tube white on the elgrande, but the glue did something to the paint. Another Demo pen.

I also agree on the mystery burl. I really dont like the shape. If I ever figure out how to reclaim the pieces, I'll return it to look like the CE next to it.

gerryr

Marc,
The nice thing about closed end Barons is that you still have one black fitting for the open end. I've had to do the same thing and just use a pair of plier to pull the fitting out. It ruins it, but you still have another. Can't do that with a Jr. Gent or Jr. Statesman. Did you use CA to glue the tube into the white acrylic? CA is pretty hot stuff. When I paint the inside of a blank with white, I glue the tube in with Sumo glue from Loctite. It dries white and I haven't had it do anything to the paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom