Solid Color Casting Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcollazo

If I wanted to cast some solid colors (jet black, brown, etc.) would I be better off using a opaque casting resin (with dye/tint) rather than the clear resin?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
I haven't used the opaque resin, but I would think it would change the final color. As if you were to add white or almond to your color. That would change the outcome. I have no problem getting black or any other color using the clear resin.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
No, just get opaque colors. I use "Hastings" and just a small bit does it. The bottles are 1oz and they'll probably go dry before I use it all, that's how little it takes.

Sorry I can't tell you where to get them on-line as I bought them at a local plastic store where I get my resin.

jcollazo

Dale, I see your in Highland which is a bit of a drive for some color. But what store do you go to in case I'm in the area?

Right now I travel about 45 minutes west of me to Santa Monica to get casting resin.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
It's "S&W Plastics" in San Bernardino, the colors are $6 a bottle and the resin is $39 a gallon. Have you checked the store where you buy you resin? Seems like the would carry the colors, unless its "Michaels".

jcollazo

Well, I have a Michaels in walking distance but Hastings Plastics in Santa Monica is where I've been buying resin and other stuff.

By doing a google search I found that there was another S&W Plastic (same company) in Montclair. That's a doable drive.

Today I found that one of the plants manufacturing Silmar 41 is in Hawthorne (about 12 miles from me) but I can't find a local distributor or retailer of the gallons. Oh well, the cost of driving is still cheaper than the shipping costs.... for now.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Joe:

Just finished checking out the Hastings website and it looks like they're the same company that supplies S&W Plastics so I would think you can get the colors where you get your resin.

Top Bottom