So there we were......

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

airrat

So there we were one day minding our own business in woodworkers supply and this jumped out and hit me.

front
2006131163640_picture%20016.jpg

back and a piece of Bocote I cut.
2006131163737_picture%20017.jpg

However, I dont think I will go back there anymore. I don't know alot about how others measure board feet for charges. But when a board measures 9x38 1/16 (mattering on how you do your tape and where) and you get charged for a board that is 10x39 (they say they round up). It bothers me a little. Hastur (Robert my brother) was with me, he purchased some Canary wood. They measured 5x72 and 5x73. He got charged 5.25x73 and 5.25x74? So I asked the manager on the phone. Do you always cut your boards 1/16th over so you can round up to the next inch? He gave me no respone.

So my question is cutting like that common practice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Well, they obviously don't round up to the next inch all the time because he was charged for 5.25. I don't understand how they can just increase the measurements by an inch! Guess that is NOT where I'll be shopping[8D]

ryannmphs

Tom,
I definatly would not have continued the purchase unless they used the actual measurements or could point to sign someplace that spells out exactly how they calculate the board feet.

Definatly not someplace I would want to shop.

Ryan

Dario

Okay you mentioned about the bocote...but care introducing us to the piece that hit you? Looks like Cocobolo to me...and a pretty one at that!

Doghouse

That is considered the difference between rough sawn and finished. Seeing as how you have boards that are s4s, the measurements are very close to what they would have been roughsawn. Now if you are paying s4s price, you should not get rough measurement. if you are paying roughsawn price, you are paying for the correct size.

airrat

haha yeah its cocobolo.

John I am not sure if it was considered rough. Most of the wood in that area of the shop is cut, sanded (so they say) and planned. Even so if it measures 9 inches how do they justify going up 1 inch saying its rough?

woodman928

After being in the woodworking business for almost 20 year I can tell you that <b>NO ONE</b> rounds up its against the law. They have to sell you net tally not gross. The weight and measure boys will back you up on this if they keep doing it then contact them. They will set them straight with large fines. Trust me I know I had a wholesaler try this crap on me and it cost them dearly after they checked all the sales records.
Jay

airrat

I can try to figure it out later it is 9 x 38 1/16 actual. they charged me for 10 x 39. For Hastur they measured 5 x 72 and 5 x 73. They charged 5.25 x 73 and 5.25 x 74. If my measurments are off they cannot be more then a 1/16th.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Cav,
If they charged for a quarter inch, then multiplied by 72 inches, it would be 18. Divide that by 144 to get board feet=.125 (1/8). Now, multiply that by the cost per board foot (estimate $20 for cocobolo) and you have a $2.50 overcharge.

Having figured that all out, I would still go back to the owner and suggest that he routinely give me a 10% volume discount and I will continue to do business with him, since the 5x72 board was $50 (again at $20 per board foot)and I was actually overcharged about 5%. If he agrees, we both go away happy. If he does not agree, I GO AWAY!

[8D]

If the measurements on the other board are correct, however, the problem is more severe, it is off by nearly 15%. So, we also have to agree all boards will be measured to the nearest eighth or quarter inch, not inflated by 15/16!

Murphy

While I can see your point I think that board has hit me over the head. Does it actually have purple in it. It sure is pretty. If you don't want it, I will take it.
Sure wish I could find boards like that locally.

woodman928

If you want to get down to it the wholesaler charged them to the foot.

This is how they charge if you have a board 8' to 8'11 1/2" the board is called an 8' board in other words anything under 9' is an 8' board and is figured and sold as such. That is per the National hardwood rules, which is what the weight and measure boys require.

So the board in question at the most would have been 2.375 bf not 2.71 bf that assumes it’s a 4/4 board and that could measure 3/4" surfaced to 1 1/8" rough.

Jay

Tea Clipper

The numbers:

9 x 38 1/16 = 342.5625 sq"
10 x 39 = 390 sq"
13.85% increase

5 x 72 = 360 sq"
5.25 x 73 = 383.25 sq"
6.45% increase

5 x 73 = 365 sq"
5.25 x 74 = 388.5 sq"
6.44% increase

So Tom, you paid nearly 14% more than you should have. I'd be very upset.

airrat

Well I called them back the moment I got home and measured them. The guy that answered the phone said he was the manager and when I asked them how they figure it they said they always round it up. Maybe another Zonie can call them and see what response they get(woodworkers source 48th st). Maybe I was just dealing with someone having a bad day (censored that for family reading).

The sad part is I didnt know he over charged me until I got home.

So they SHOULD not be rounding up when they measure? against the law?

I already know I am done with them.

AS to the board I will be cutting it down to blanks. I do plan on selling some of them. The price I paid was over 26 bf.

ilikewood

I finally had a moment to read this and respond.

When buying rough cut lumber, the supplier will usually cut one side straight. This results in a small loss to the supplier.

When I buy rough cut wood that is straight edged, you will get a 10% add on to the cost (most lumber suppliers will do this).

I don't know that the supplier in this case straight edged the Cocobolo, but considering how figured that piece is, I wouldn't complain too much.

PS- be very careful or you might get the Cocobolo "bug" and may not be able to stop buying and selling the stuff.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Thanks to those who helped me with the numbers. I think the most important thing is if you feel like you got good value for your money. This isn't a pine 2x4 at Lowe's, it is a beautiful piece of exotic wood. I tend to agree with Bill in Idaho.

Originally posted by Hastur
<br />What does s4s and s2s mean?

surfaced 4 sides
surfaced 2 sides

----

When was the last time you bought a 2x4 that measured 2" x 4"???

----

Where I buy my lumber, they don't count the first and last 6" and round down to the closest inch and measure width at the narrowest point.

BTW I only buy rough sawn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom