So much to learn!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Psychmike22

I often save pictures of pens that have elements that I have not figured out yet. I find I learn best with some good instruction, a video I can watch a hundred times, and sometimes a mentor whom I can ask questions or solicit feedback from. The last ingredient is practice. I learn a lot from my mistakes. I pick up problem solving skills like; how do I hold this piece now? What tool do I need to make or get to solve the current problem. I also make a list of the next steps so I am constantly learning.

Currently, I want to learn to make cap rings, I want to get better at adding clips, I want to learn to make ebonite sleeves, and polishing internals for demonstrators.

Any mentors interested in a new student??

Attached are some pens I have made recently to show what I know so far. For these I both casted the blanks and turned the pen.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8BFF6F36-B420-4F8D-8373-8586D4E50527.jpeg
    8BFF6F36-B420-4F8D-8373-8586D4E50527.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 120
  • 72CE3E14-51ED-4AC8-9D4C-CF02528F4C40.jpeg
    72CE3E14-51ED-4AC8-9D4C-CF02528F4C40.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 118
  • B9270A08-D353-468A-8BE9-2CEC11A1E080.jpeg
    B9270A08-D353-468A-8BE9-2CEC11A1E080.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 115
  • B856767D-CF02-49B8-BFEB-64AA57C0FEA2.jpeg
    B856767D-CF02-49B8-BFEB-64AA57C0FEA2.jpeg
    93.8 KB · Views: 114
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

I would guess that you have made more kitless than I have but I may be able to help with a couple things. All of the ones I have made have been sleeved and most have had rings. from what i have seen here there are several way to do the sleeving. The way I do it is a way that I developed through trial and error.
I think that is the way I learn best. Jump in and be ready to do it over differently if it doesn't work out.
I will send you a dm.
are you using a metal lathe?

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF someone tells/shows you how to do something, you may make it happen once. Then, when you want to repeat it a long time later, you will likely forget how.

If you work it out yourself in the first place, you will remember the logic that got you the desired result. You will still probably forget the exact steps, but you will "figure it out" more quickly and accurately--AND you can BUILD on that knowledge to go to the next steps.

Success is much more rewarding when you know YOU made it work!!

FWIW,
Ed

Psychmike22

I have a metal lathe and Jet 1221. I'd love to talk shop.

I would guess that you have made more kitless than I have but I may be able to help with a couple things. All of the ones I have made have been sleeved and most have had rings. from what i have seen here there are several way to do the sleeving. The way I do it is a way that I developed through trial and error.
I think that is the way I learn best. Jump in and be ready to do it over differently if it doesn't work out.
I will send you a dm.
are you using a metal lathe?

Psychmike22

IF someone tells/shows you how to do something, you may make it happen once. Then, when you want to repeat it a long time later, you will likely forget how.

If you work it out yourself in the first place, you will remember the logic that got you the desired result. You will still probably forget the exact steps, but you will "figure it out" more quickly and accurately--AND you can BUILD on that knowledge to go to the next steps.

FWIW,
Ed
Thanks Ed. I think I need to see it to pick up the concept then I start playing with the idea through trial, error, and a few late nite orders at your shop for extra blanks! The M&Ms keep me at the lathe longer too.

Thanks

Penultimate

I've made rings two ways one is making rings and placing them on a turned down cap body. It was a bit of trial and error to make thin rings and part them off.
I was successful in turning by a groove B and swaging an aluminum ring into the groove. That took a lot of trial and error to get the right combination of groove dial and ring thickness. I swayed the ring using my collet chuck.

jttheclockman

FWIW,
Ed
Sorry I do not agree with this logic. You can not learn something if you do not see it in some shape or form being done. I know this for fact in my trade as an electrician there was what we called book smart kids but when it came to in the field work they were lost. Then there were kids who learned more being shown on the jobsite. They became better mechanics. Years ago before I even got in the trades there were master mechanics that did not want to share their knowledge being afraid those kids would take their jobs. Well guess what they did anyway so why not teach them the right way and safer ways. I know pens are a small item and maybe we all can figure things out in time but why not share your knowledge and hope they do the same so the penturning community grows. I talk about this very thing in my thread about that Wow pen and how info was not shared and could be lost forever. Better to be a sponge and soak up info then to be a wall and have things fall off you.

Hopefully you get enough info from members here as well as the vast info spread out over the many threads this forum has to offer as well as the library. Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom