Small victory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

My wife bought me, quite a few years ago this cute little pen making tool set. I haven't used it much because I really made a mess of the skew while trying to sharpen it. Well I decided that little skew wasn't going to get the best of me so I buckled down and figured out how to clean it up and sharpen it. All it took was to lay my Sorby ProEdge down so I could see better what I was doing and what do you know I have a razor sharp little skew with a perfect profile.

Attachments

• 81727184-0DA0-4597-80E4-6E4ACB88E3F7.jpeg
    81727184-0DA0-4597-80E4-6E4ACB88E3F7.jpeg
    291.7 KB · Views: 89
  • E0DF1A45-7C08-4058-AC01-F61CA7A3E0FB.jpeg
    E0DF1A45-7C08-4058-AC01-F61CA7A3E0FB.jpeg
    366.2 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

There you go. You win. Have to say I have a set that is that small also and use it alot when making my birdhouse ornaments. Especially the finials because they get delicate. I know many people say you can do everything with same large tools but i find better control when working on small items such as those birdhouse ornaments. Looking at your photos again, they look a little larger than the set I have. They work well.

KenB259

There you go. You win. Have to say I have a set that is that small also and use it alot when making my birdhouse ornaments. Especially the finials because they get delicate. I know many people say you can do everything with same large tools but i find better control when working on small items such as those birdhouse ornaments. Looking at your photos again, they look a little larger than the set I have. They work well.
You know when I very first started making pens, I bought the pen size carbides from Rockler and they are still my preferred tools for pens. I too like smaller tools for delicate work.

jttheclockman

You know when I very first started making pens, I bought the pen size carbides from Rockler and they are still my preferred tools for pens. I too like smaller tools for delicate work.
Oh I have not seen carbide. Do you have a link. If not I will try to find. Did I ever mention I like tools.;)

Just took a look and is the set? https://www.rockler.com/carbide-mini-turning-tool-3-piece-set
Do they use smaller cutters or are the same cutters but on a smaller handle??

KenB259

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like Crown tools, but my preferred set of 'small turning' tools is the mini Sorby's. I have used them for years and still like them. I will admit that I use only 2 of the inserts mainly - the spindle gouge & roughing gouge.

Sorby Mini tool set.

jttheclockman

No they are even smaller. Try this link https://www.rockler.com/pen-turning-ergonomic-carbide-turning-tools-3-piece-set. The parting tool in the set is HSS.
Thanks. I had to go look what my HSS ones are because I bought those way back when I first started turning. I knew then I wanted to do Dick Sings birdhouse ornaments and not so much pens but that evolved. They are Henry Taylor's from Craft Supply. I checked the price on those carbide cutters and wow they are not cheap. But the good thing is they are smaller. I have bookmarked this thread and when I get back to turning some ornaments I may just get a set of those. Thanks.

KenB259

Thanks. I had to go look what my HSS ones are because I bought those way back when I first started turning. I knew then I wanted to do Dick Sings birdhouse ornaments and not so much pens but that evolved. They are Henry Taylor's from Craft Supply. I checked the price on those carbide cutters and wow they are not cheap. But the good thing is they are smaller. I have bookmarked this thread and when I get back to turning some ornaments I may just get a set of those. Thanks.
When I bought mine they were on sale. Keep an eye out , they put them on sale quite often and you can buy carbide inserts that fit other places than Rockler. Their carbide prices are insanely high.

Top Bottom