Small metal chop saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I'm currently using a small, very small, chop saw I bought at Harbor Freight. Yesterday while cutting a 5/32" brass rod it quit. I'm thinking it's probably the drive pin on the inside but you get what you pay for, I think I paid like $29.00 and it works great on bass tubes, but not brass rods. I'm looking for something that will cut the brass rods I need for my knife pins but I don't want a chop saw that has a large foot print. I'm looking for something in the $100.00 range but not much more. I've used hand held cutters like lineman pliers but even cutting a small rod can get painful on my hands, so I'm looking for something that will still cut the rods and not bother my hands. Thanks for any info or help in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Tom, don't know how successful you"ll be given your location, but a used 8" Skill table top band saw should be well less than $100.00; other used table top bandsaws can be had in the $100.00. I don't personally now of any small footprint chop saws in your price range. How about a used hand-held grinder with a cut-off blade?

Don

bsshog40

I've always used a hack saw for my knife pins until I bought a bandsaw and put a metal blade on it. I used my hacksaw on Brass, Mosaic, copper and Stainless pins and has always worked just fine. Save your money.

Marko50

I've got a Proxxon KGS-80 mini chop saw that's a real workhorse. Never quits, has several unique features and is built to last. The price is beyond what you're willing to pay ($215.10 on sale right now from Proxxon, normally $350.00). I manufacture a lot of tube-in blanks and I have to cut my own tubes sometimes and I went down the proverbial cheap road and regretted it. You get exactly what you pay for when it comes to tools. Cheap, crappy tool = cheap crappy results. This saw is indestructible and accurate.

Here's the link if you're interested:

Mikeyt

I have to second the proxxon chop saw I use it to cut aluminum and brass rod I get great results exact length each time. I was using a band saw and tried the harbor freight chop saw but just didn't work as good as the proxxon the band saw was ok. I wish had gotten the proxxon saw sooner and saved the extra money spent on other saws. Have learned that lesson many times trying or thinking I am going to save $ when in fact I spend more over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Any reason a hacksaw won't work?
I've always used a hack saw for my knife pins until I bought a bandsaw and put a metal blade on it. I used my hacksaw on Brass, Mosaic, copper and Stainless pins and has always worked just fine. Save your money.
I used a hacksaw and cut it a hare too long, then I use a sanding jig to clean up the ends and bring the tube down to size.
I am really winging it here. There are many YouTubes on Dremels being modified to cut metal - just an idea that may suit your budget,

Tried the hacksaw route and just got tired of bending over constantly to find the brass rod under the workbench after I let go of the piece of rod after I burned my finger tips. You'd think I'd learn after a few times, guess it's age. I did try my Dremel Tony, but it lacks the power and it takes way too long to cut through the rod with those little abrasive fiber wheels they sell. Plus, the fiber wheels are a treat to pick out of your hands when they explode from using too much pressure.

I've got a Proxxon KGS-80 mini chop saw that's a real workhorse. Never quits, has several unique features and is built to last. The price is beyond what you're willing to pay ($215.10 on sale right now from Proxxon, normally $350.00). I manufacture a lot of tube-in blanks and I have to cut my own tubes sometimes and I went down the proverbial cheap road and regretted it. You get exactly what you pay for when it comes to tools. Cheap, crappy tool = cheap crappy results. This saw is indestructible and accurate.

I might just have to bite the bullet and spend some money. This saw does sound pretty nice but right now they're out of stock. I've asked to be notified when they are back in stock I just hope they honor the sale price.
Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Almost forgot, I hate changing band saw blades. So although that's a good suggestions, I think I'd rather donate a kidney than change the blade. Thanks everyone for your help and expert advice.

Curly

For a while I used a slitting saw in a cheap air grinder. Made a hinged holder to act as a chop saw. Not sure how a slitting saw would work on solid but it was good on the tubes. Now I use a metal lathe and parting tool. If you have a good compressor you could make your own easily enough.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
How thick are the rods your cutting? A jewelers saw would do what you need, plenty of tooth profiles for fine work like tubes and thick work like solid stock. Use it with a bench pin sitting down.

How thick are the rods your cutting? A jewelers saw would do what you need, plenty of tooth profiles for fine work like tubes and thick work like solid stock. Use it with a bench pin sitting down.

5/32". Cuts tubes just great. I used my jewelers saw today so I could get this order ready. I did find the problem with the machine which was easily fixed, but just for tubes, not rods.

Alchemist

Dremel makes several blades for different materials. If you are looking for a cheap and easy solution. I second the Dremel with metal blade. I usually make my own tubes from stock and a hacksaw sucks. If I didn't use my mitre saw- a Dremel would be my backup.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

WriteON

I've got a Proxxon KGS-80 mini chop saw that's a real workhorse..

I'm sorry I did not buy this on day One. Small, light weight and works like champ.

Top Bottom