Slimline troubles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have trouble pressing the end of the pens with the clip on them. It seems the hole in the clip isn't quite big enough to go over the end piece and it is REALLY hard to put them on the pen. Also every once in a while I get a blank that is a little bit too big and doesn't want to fit over the transmission snuggly. Is it me or is there a problem there. I had this end problem with a Designer yesterday too. What am I doing wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

daledut

I have had both issues in the past. The loose fit on the transmission is usually caused by taking out too much brass inside the tube when milling the ends. First try to be careful not the score up the inside of the tube. You could also coat the inside of the tube with CA and let it dry before pushing it over the tranmission. This will give a little tighter fit.

I have also seen where someone "peaned" around the tranmission with a punch of some sort. The row of little dents caused a tighter fit in the brass tube.

The finial/clip assembly issue, I sovled, by using an arbor press for assembly. The extra power and control, makes it much easier to press it together even for the stuborn ones.

I also saw in a book, how someone tunred a peg with a hole in the end. The hole is just big enough for the end of the finial to slip into. The O.D. of the peg is a little smaller than the diameter of a SL. That peg is then used to pre-assemble the finial and clip. That way you don't have to try to keep the finial straight and the clip lined up at the same time.

I hope that is as clear as mud [:eek:)] maybe someone else can word it better than I.

G

My problem is when the rings( that I hate!) are shipped together with the tip.
I usually have CA all over my hands and can't separate them.

William Young

Eaglesc;
Why are you getting the CA all over your hands. It's supposed to be in the right places on the pen parts.[:D] [:p] . Sorry, .. couldn't resist.

For pressing the parts into the top, I have also had some that were very tight on the finial/clip. I have a large drill press that I use for a press for all my pens and it pushes those tight ones home very nicely. I chuck up a piece of 1/2" hardwood dowel in my drill press as a push rod and a piece of MDF on the DP table to push against. I'm too cheap to buy a real pen press and so far this has worked A-OK for me.
W.Y.

timdaleiden

Bev,

I had many Slims that the end cap wouldn't fit through the clip hole. A tight fit is nice, but not too tight. I solved it by using my dremel tool to just touch-up the inside of the clip hole. I have a tiny sander that is tapered, and is perfect for this tweak.

Two quick touches is all it takes. If it sits in there too long, it will start to burn, which ruins the finish.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There is an advantage to the clip being tight on the top finial.

The clip will never be able to spin around the pen barrel and score the wood.

timdaleiden

Russ is correct of course. If you do touch up the inside of the clip hole, do it very carefully. You still want a tight fit.

I would say about 5% of the PSI slimline kits I have done, had this problem. The finial has a small ridge that the clip would get stuck on, and would not go on straight. I have never had it happen with a craft supplies kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom