slimline question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

old folks

I have a Penn State 7mm mandrel and bushons. I would like to buy some of the Ariz. Silh. Berea slimline kits ...can I use the mandrel I have and just buy new bushons or do I have to buy a new mandrel and bushons ? Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wicook

My mandrels are from Lee Valley and they work fine with PSI and Berea kits...both slimline and euro styles. I'm not sure who Lee Valley's supplier is. From my experience, I'd suggest trying what you have. The worst that can happen is you have to buy another mandrel/bushing set.

JimGo

If the Berea slimline kits say they use an "A" mandrel, then I think you should be OK. I'd suggest getting the bushings, though, since there are some differences in some of the kits (not sure if there's a difference between PSI and Berea SL kits, but better to play it safe for $3, rather than have to pay shipping on 'em later!). Good luck John!

BogBean

I have a PSI mandrel and it is .243 and the CSUSA mandrel is .246. I can feel the slop in the bushings when I try to turn a slimline from AS on the PSI so I use the CS mandrel with them....

Thumbs

I have both the PSI and Berea mandrels and bushings. The Berea bushings fit on the PSI mandrel somewhat loosely. Most of the PSI bushings can be barely fit on the Berea mandrel and some won't go on. Variances in allowed tolerances, I guess. So anyway, if Berea kits have to fit on larger mandrels, then the kits should easily fit on the PSI mandrels with the PSI bushings, too. Just buy the kits, you shouldn't have to buy the mandrel or bushings until you are working on a penkit that specifically needs them. The extra thickness of the Berea mandrel seems to make it a little sturdier. Something to remember if you have to replace a bent mandrel, like some of us have had to do. Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom